migrating apps and app-specific settings on new OS version

specifically: from ubuntu desktop 10.10 to ubuntu desktop/server 12.04

Apps like: numerous PEARL insatlled modules, MySQL configs, Apache server configs and website configs etc..

user data: I can backup/ restore user data, that is not an issue.

[ old related subject: Subject: Re: A howto backup your software configuration. "installed-software". ]

I am afraid this method of 'installing' the 'same' apps and services on a newer OS install as I had earlier will break.

for example on my production '10.10 ubuntu desktop' I have LAMP clustru running MySQL ver 5.1 it comes out as following in generated list:

mysql-server     install
mysql-server-5.1    install
mysql-server-core-5.1    install

now, i checked on 12.04 repo online it has:   mysql-server-5.5

so i assume 'get config'  'set config' method may fail for software like this - in the sense that i want only the latest version of the apps on the new OS, and not both old and new versions. I want to make clear that my apps are not that complex which are so sensitive to app versions.

But, since you have experience, do you know above will work?

AND this is only part of the problem, once i have the 'same' softwares i need on new OS installed, how to migrate the app specific configs and settings??? (like i have done quite a few to my apache and mysql servers...)

ty.
Rajeev