Setting up KVM guests with DRBD block device for storage using vmbuilder or virt-manager
- From: Hans Vos <hans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 01:41:11 +0200
I've been working all weekend on getting this work but I can't find any good documentation or tutorials for creating KVM guests using DRBD block devices for storage. My setup consists of two identical servers with Ubuntu 12.04. I have successfully installed them and configured my network bridge and DRBD block device.
Here are some outputs of my configuration:
- ifconfig: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1034662/
- lvdisplay: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1034666/
- brctl show: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1034667/
- cat /proc/drbd: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1034672/
Ideally I would like to be able to create a new KVM guests using virt-manager on my Ubuntu desktop machine. This way I can install the KVM quest like I would normally install a server. I can setup the connection but I have no idea how to configure the storage pool to make use of the DRBD device (/dev/drbd0) or how to make use of my network bridge. It defaults to NAT networking. But using vmbuilder tool would be acceptable also. I have followed several tutorials but none of them cover the use of a DRBD block device for storage.
How can I get this to work? Do I maybe have to setup an LVM layer on top of my DRBD device and add that to the libvirt storage pool configuration? What kind of command should I run to try to get vmbuilder to create a KVM guest with my DRBD block device?
Over a year ago I tried setting up a Xen guest under CentOS using a DRBD block device by following the DRBD documentation (http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/ch-xen.html). I have no idea why this is so much harder with KVM. Since both CentOS and Ubuntu have switched to KVM and Ubuntu is my distribution of choice I would like to setup something similar using Ubuntu.
Any help is greatly appreciated I'm pretty much stuck now.
ubuntu-users mailing list
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
- Prev by Date: Re: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS removing unity and installing GNOME
- Next by Date: Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 94, Issue 78
- Previous by thread: Error installing wget
- Next by thread: RE: Setting up KVM guests with DRBD block device for storage using vmbuilder or virt-manager