Screenshot only shows desktop background or completely black (12.04)

Hello,

I want to make a couple of screen shots of running applications. When I
press the print screen button it makes a screen shot sound and I get the
dialog window for saving the screen shot, but nothing is in it. Previously
it only showed my desktop background but now it is completely black.

I tried installing another application called Shutter but this program has
the same behavior. I am running Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 LTS inside a Virtual
Box environment on a Windows 7 host system. I already asked for some
support over at Virtual Box but I got referred back to Ubuntu being told
it must be a guest problem.

I hope somebody can provide a solution for my problem.

Kind regards,

Hans Vos