Re: Mac vs. PC choice for college.

From: Ivan Marsh (annoyed_at_you.now)
Date: 08/07/03

    Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 10:12:25 -0500

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 14:14:13 +0000, Orhan Ayasli wrote:

    > I am a freshman CS major and I am looking for a computer to buy before
    > going to college. I've narrowed it down to these two notebook computers:
    >
    > 17" powerbook 1ghz
    > 14.1" IBM t40
    >
    > I can't decide which computer to get, so I have decided to compare
    > operating systems. My problem is, I love Linux, and I believe that the
    > future of any computer scientist will revolve around Linux. Therefore, I
    > want a laptop that will be most compatible with linux. On a PC, I know
    > that I have a dual-boot with XP and almost any linux distribution. I don't
    > know how it works for a mac though. Can I have a dual-boot with OS X and
    > Linux? Or what about a triple boot with XP, OS X, and Linux? Or do I have
    > to stick with Linux and XP emulators? OR, is the Unix backbone of OS X
    > enough to give me a platform for developing Unix apps. (I know, Linux is
    > not Unix). Can you guys explain this to me? Thanks alot, I appreciate
    > anyone who answers.
    >
    > Orhan

    Well, on the Mac you'll most likely be running OSX(Darwin). What then would be
    the need to put Linux on it at all? POSIX is POSIX.

    --
    i.m.

    • Re: Habemus init?
      ... wohl z.B. in eine Ausschreibung "POSIX" als Standard reinzuschreiben, ... damit man nicht ein bestimmtes Markenprodukt (UNIX) verlangt. ... Zwischendurch war sogar Windows mal POSIX-zertifiziert, ... nicht heute entweder Linux ...
      (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
    • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ UNIX COURSE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ... and aix unix course free administration ... and programming plan unix shell course ... course linux unix online administration system ...
      (sci.bio.ecology)
    • Re: The Problems With Linux
      ... > Here are the problems with Linux: ... programmers of UNIX, Open Source software, and Shareware. ... programs only available from BSD. ... BSD code is used by Microsoft in it's Windows NT/9x/2K/XP code. ...
      (comp.os.linux)
    • RE: [Full-Disclosure] CyberInsecurity: The cost of Monopoly
      ... I've used UNIX, ... I've used/use Linux, ... > inefficient operating system - if most other Windows ... This is why I don't run POS operating systems. ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: hmm..
      ... I checked definitely do not have any UNIX history to them. ... (ie I think "real UNIX" has SIGBUS at 10, while Linux didn't originally ... the "ctype" name comes "character type", and the ... the "ctype" interfaces are defined by the C standard library. ...
      (Linux-Kernel)