what is the motivation for installing Alsa sound card drivers?

From: takashi (twakeshi_at_telus.net)
Date: 08/08/03

    Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 07:37:16 GMT

    Hi, I recently installed redhat9 on my computer. It came with the
    soundcard module for my VIA on-board sound card. It used to be very
    hard to configure the system to be able to listen music when I was
    using redhat6, but this time I did not have to do anythings by
    myself. Now I am wondering whether I should give it try to Alsa sound
    card driver. I heard some good reputations, but are Alsa drivers for
    somebody who could not get ready-to-use sound card driver when he
    installed the linux distribution? Or is there something about Alsa that
    is simply better than other sound drivers?
     Could you tell me what is the general motivations for people to try
    installing Alsa sound card drivers?
     Thank you very much and have a good day.