what is the motivation for installing Alsa sound card drivers?

From: takashi (twakeshi_at_telus.net)
Date: 08/08/03

    Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 07:37:16 GMT

    Hi, I recently installed redhat9 on my computer. It came with the
    soundcard module for my VIA on-board sound card. It used to be very
    hard to configure the system to be able to listen music when I was
    using redhat6, but this time I did not have to do anythings by
    myself. Now I am wondering whether I should give it try to Alsa sound
    card driver. I heard some good reputations, but are Alsa drivers for
    somebody who could not get ready-to-use sound card driver when he
    installed the linux distribution? Or is there something about Alsa that
    is simply better than other sound drivers?
     Could you tell me what is the general motivations for people to try
    installing Alsa sound card drivers?
     Thank you very much and have a good day.

    • Re: My Audio Device is Missing. Plus playback hardware
      ... In this case installing a new sound card does not help you anything. ... But my Audio Device is missing and so is playback hardware and Midi output. ... amounts of time identifying and tracking down driver software for very ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsmedia)
    • Computer Runs Very Slow or Hangs Up After Upgrade to SP2
      ... After installing SP2 from a CD-rom I acquired fron Microsoft my computer ... Once again I have to hit reset to restart and Windows screen comes up as ... MICROSOFT INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER OPTICAL MOUSE ... MAUDIO DELTA 24/96 SOUND CARD ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Low mic level on Dell Dimension E521
      ... improvement in the quality of audio playback. ... I am trying set up the PC to do some home recording with voice and guitar. ... after installing the SoundBlaster Card. ... reverb from the sound card. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Cant install XP or 98 after reformat, etc ...
      ... sound card driver upon re-boot. ... installing various apps etc. ... Updating the video card driver is the typical nightmare no-one at MS or the ... 'update your drivers'. ...
    • Re: Canīt open a file
      ... but something like a sound card driver. ... drivers, video card drivers, and many other things can cause this. ... I hace windows media player 9. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)