Re: RedHat 8.0 overloaded.

From: Lenroc (lenroc_at_NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com)
Date: 08/13/03

Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 19:16:42 -0700

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 14:30:08 +0100, Rick said:

> Hi,
> Just installed RedHat 8 on a ASUS P4C800 Deluxe on a Promise RAID 0 SATA
> Ext3, CPU 2.6 Ghz HT Front Bus 800 Mhz, 4x512Mb 3700/400 Mhz Crucial Memory,
> 3D Connect ATI 9600 Radeon 128Mb. It works OK, but when trying to open a
> game the procesor gets extremly overloaded, the game barely moves on. Tux
> Racer shows in a variety of stripes only... I'm not keen in playing Linux
> games, but just wondering what would be the cause.
> Many thanks,

Sorry, didn't notice your video card off hand.

The 9600 does not have a driver released by ATI yet. There are ATI drivers
for the 9000, 9500, and 9700, but apparently the 9600 is a new
architecture based on the 9800, which is substantially different from the
others.

So, no driver.

There is a German (IIRC) driver out there somewhere, but I couldn't get it
to work. Also they say you need to recompile the kernel to make it work,
so I figured not worth it.

Good luck, and here's hoping ATI releases a driver soon! ;)

--
Lenroc