Re: RedHat 8.0 overloaded.

From: Lenroc (lenroc_at_NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com)
Date: 08/13/03

Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 19:16:42 -0700

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 14:30:08 +0100, Rick said:

> Hi,
> Just installed RedHat 8 on a ASUS P4C800 Deluxe on a Promise RAID 0 SATA
> Ext3, CPU 2.6 Ghz HT Front Bus 800 Mhz, 4x512Mb 3700/400 Mhz Crucial Memory,
> 3D Connect ATI 9600 Radeon 128Mb. It works OK, but when trying to open a
> game the procesor gets extremly overloaded, the game barely moves on. Tux
> Racer shows in a variety of stripes only... I'm not keen in playing Linux
> games, but just wondering what would be the cause.
> Many thanks,

Sorry, didn't notice your video card off hand.

The 9600 does not have a driver released by ATI yet. There are ATI drivers
for the 9000, 9500, and 9700, but apparently the 9600 is a new
architecture based on the 9800, which is substantially different from the
others.

So, no driver.

There is a German (IIRC) driver out there somewhere, but I couldn't get it
to work. Also they say you need to recompile the kernel to make it work,
so I figured not worth it.

Good luck, and here's hoping ATI releases a driver soon! ;)

--
Lenroc

Relevant Pages

  • Re: A very sad personal decision with regard to "pc games"....
    ... features & reasons we buy an ATI card over the opposition. ... Newer stuff lets you do it in game. ... place, even in XP, because they never bothered to fix the clear OGL driver ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg)
  • Re: Registry Recovery Options
    ... ATI uninstall utility is present run that before you uninstall it as ... Now test your game again. ... > video driver for the video card in my system. ... > out any remaining ghost images, then do a clean install. ...
  • Re: Halo crash
    ... ..The game quits unexpectedly. ... Download and install the most recent version of DirectX ... Method 8: Update your video driver ... Detailed instructions and video clips are published at: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.games)
  • Re: Star Trek Armada 2
    ... When a game is a DOS game, it could work using compatibility mode: ... which allows you to install DOS or to run any operating system inside XP. ... DX is DX9.0c, the driver verison is ... || c. Make sure you meet the game's minimum video and system requirements. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.games)
  • Re: Sims and Secondary Graphics card
    ... Daughter bought new Sims game. ... We have an ATI radeon 7500 graphics card. ... Video Driver not found. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)