Re: cant install mandrake

From: #Harold Stevens US.972.952.3293 (stevens_at_mklog4.rsc.raytheon.com)
Date: 08/19/03

    Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 00:26:08 GMT

    In <pan.2003.08.18.22.11.07.219587@hccnet.nl>, Jorrit:
    >On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 23:25:48 +0000, ro wrote:
    >
    >> I try booting the mandrake 9.1 cd and a menu pops up asking me whether to
    >> install etc, but when i press enter, i simply get a black screen, any ideas?
    >
    >Sounds like some problem with the graphics card.
    >Try it in text mode.
    >
    >To get X working eventually vesa usually works.
    >Not the best there is, but still.

    That's a good tip for a slow(er) default X video mode with some obscure or
    buggy graphics cards, but I don't think they're even near X install (it is
    going blank during preliminary install boot, it sounds like).

    Shot in the dark: if there's some sort of kernel boot option specification
    during this "whether to install" etc. phase, try adding this option:

                                 vga=normal

    to the boot parameters.

    This avoids trying to use the framebuffer video, which some graphics cards
    cannot handle (they only work in old-fashioned VGA mode for boot).

    I'm not familiar with Mandrake, but disabling framebuffer for boot was the
    only way I could get SuSE to install on two old(er) systems.

    Pardon any bogus email addresses (mklog*) in place for spambots.
    Really it's (wyrd) at raytheon, dotted with com. DO NOT SPAM IT.
    Standard Disclaimer: These are my opinions not Raytheon Company.