Re: cant install mandrake

From: #Harold Stevens US.972.952.3293 (stevens_at_mklog4.rsc.raytheon.com)
Date: 08/19/03

    Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 00:26:08 GMT

    In <pan.2003.08.18.22.11.07.219587@hccnet.nl>, Jorrit:
    >On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 23:25:48 +0000, ro wrote:
    >
    >> I try booting the mandrake 9.1 cd and a menu pops up asking me whether to
    >> install etc, but when i press enter, i simply get a black screen, any ideas?
    >
    >Sounds like some problem with the graphics card.
    >Try it in text mode.
    >
    >To get X working eventually vesa usually works.
    >Not the best there is, but still.

    That's a good tip for a slow(er) default X video mode with some obscure or
    buggy graphics cards, but I don't think they're even near X install (it is
    going blank during preliminary install boot, it sounds like).

    Shot in the dark: if there's some sort of kernel boot option specification
    during this "whether to install" etc. phase, try adding this option:

                                 vga=normal

    to the boot parameters.

    This avoids trying to use the framebuffer video, which some graphics cards
    cannot handle (they only work in old-fashioned VGA mode for boot).

    I'm not familiar with Mandrake, but disabling framebuffer for boot was the
    only way I could get SuSE to install on two old(er) systems.

    Pardon any bogus email addresses (mklog*) in place for spambots.
    Really it's (wyrd) at raytheon, dotted with com. DO NOT SPAM IT.
    Standard Disclaimer: These are my opinions not Raytheon Company.

    • Re: XP HOME BOOT FAILURE
      ... Boot the system, start tapping F8, when the menu appears, select ... download install and run the application: ... A repair install should bypass that but it will ... >> on, follow the screens. ...
    • Re: Dual Boot; worried about overwriting C: Boot Drive with Win2k
      ... > replacement, I decided to install that as a slave drive, but I have not ... I also want to dual boot, ... DO NOT install the Linux boot loader on ...
      (alt.os.linux.redhat)
    • Re: Linux is a waste of time. It sucks!
      ... Linux is a huge failure and I ... I then tried to install Linux on it. ... only to learn that it wouldn't boot. ... So I made pcmcia floppies for Red Hat 8.0 and Mandrake 9.1 and tried ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: Cant boot with Mandrake linux drive removed
      ... installed on a second hard drive in my Windows XP box and was happily ... containing Mandrake and tried to boot to Windows (Windows was set as my ... Install the XP boot into the bootstrap sector by booting the ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: boot sector f*ed
      ... "I updated the machine and it doesn't boot anymore". ... Please capture the output from running fdisk and bsdlabel on the problem disk ... Soft updates is a technique employed by the filesystem to ensure that the file ... application to install the 64bit FBSD with flashplugin on the portable ...
      (freebsd-questions)