Re: How can I delete directories that are not empty?

From: Robert Hull (
Date: 09/01/03

    Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 18:08:17 +0100

    In message <>, Barry OGrady
    <> wrote
    >On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 19:28:30 +0300, "PM" <> wrote:
    >>> rm *
    >>> -Barry
    >>> ========
    >>> Web page:
    >>> Atheist, radio scanner, LIPD information.
    >>> Voicemail/fax number +14136227640
    >>Did you really mean rm * ?
    >>Won't that do just a little bit more than intended?
    >You are right. What about rm dirname?
    That will fail if the directory is not empty unless you use either -r or
    --recursive to remove the files in the directory recursively.

    If you are root, you can use -d to remove the directory whether empty or
    not but I do not know what happens to the files in that directory in
    that case.

    This information provided free of charge for those willing to accept
    it. Others who wish to be spoon-fed may acquire my services at the
    discounted rate of 80 GB Pounds per hour or part thereof.