Re: Installing RH8 directly to SATA HD

From: nolo (nolo_at_nowhwerenohow.com)
Date: 09/08/03

    Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 17:42:15 GMT

    On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 10:41:44 +0200, Dennis Peere wrote:

    > Dear,
    >
    > I've asked this question before in several groups but didn't get a good
    > answer to it.
    > I'd like to install RedHat 8.0 (RH9 is not an option) directly on a SATA
    > harddisk connected to a SIL3112 SATA controller.
    >
    > This controller is not supported in the 2.4.18-14 Kernel used by RH8 and
    > Silicon Image doesn't make drivers voor Linux.
    > They gave my an answer saying they leave this up to the Open Source
    > Community so I hope you people can help me out.
    >
    > The support for this controller can be found in kernel 2.4.20-20.8 but I can
    > only install this kernel AFTER the RH installation.
    > Remark: I use a harddrive installation with a kickstart file (ks.cfg) to
    > install my systems.
    >
    > Can someone please tell me how I can :
    > Get support for the SATA controller in the kernel used in the setup of
    > RH 8
    > Get the 2.4.20-20.8 kernel to be used automatically after installation
    > so I can use the SATA HD.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Dennis

    Make a boot floopy with the kernel that has the SATA support you require,
    boot with that floppy and install redhat and then the kernel with sata
    support

    • Re: Installing RH8 directly to SATA HD
      ... > harddisk connected to a SIL3112 SATA controller. ... > only install this kernel AFTER the RH installation. ...
      (linux.redhat)
    • Re: Installing RH8 directly to SATA HD
      ... > harddisk connected to a SIL3112 SATA controller. ... > only install this kernel AFTER the RH installation. ...
      (comp.os.linux.hardware)
    • Re: Install on new M.B.
      ... There is a driver on the manufacturers disk but either I am ... it uses the most recent kernel. ... If the install works, ... A bigger problem than a SATA disk drive is a SATA DVD reader. ...
      (comp.os.linux.hardware)
    • Re: Install on new M.B.
      ... There is a driver on the manufacturers disk but either I am ... it uses the most recent kernel. ... If the install works, ... A bigger problem than a SATA disk drive is a SATA DVD reader. ...
      (comp.os.linux.hardware)
    • Re: adding modules to an initrd image
      ... I am using a SATA HD, which is on a ULI SATA controller. ... > I am able to install to the hard-drive after I load the module ... > When the initrd image tries to pivot_root, kernel panic happens ...
      (Debian-User)