Comcast Cable Performance Problems

From: m_f_h (no_one_at_now_where.com)
Date: 11/04/03

Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 21:59:06 -0500

My computer is a home built unit that dual boots into Windows XP
Pro and Red Hat 9.0.

I subscribe to Comcast Cable, and in the last few months, I've
noticed a decline in their service. I'm getting a lot of messages
like "Request timeout" and "Could not connect to ..." This seems
to happens about once every three different web page requests.

Ditto for Comcast news server: comcast.giganews.

Comcast tells me that there's nothing wrong at their end, and so
we went through the usual suspects (on the Windows side): my
firewall (ZoneAlarm and Windows XP's internal), Windows Update,
and the following CLI:

C:\netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

None of these steps has produced any improvement. I suspect the
problem is somewhere between my computer and the internet; i.e.,
Comcast.

I don't live in an area that qualifies me for Verizon DSL.

How would you use Linux to document where the problem really is?
(There is also the possibility that the connection has somewhere
gotten corroded, and I'm hoping Linux can help me determine that.)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Browsers for those IE-only sites
    ... >>the Internet. ... > I was refering to the selection of English sites. ... was not going to be distributed with new Windows. ... There are Linux boxes ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Trolling the Goss.
    ... The rest only turned up in a digression about connecting different   ... only one, and no more, computer is to be connected to internet), but   ... I'll look at Linux if it can replace windoze for what   ... You could consider using a new small-size off-the-shelf Windows ...
    (rec.arts.sf.written)
  • Re: Aint windows grand...NOT
    ... one of these newsgroups complaining that MS Windows is the problem.. ... Linux is coded MUCH better?.. ... INTERNET OPTIONS and look for the button to do this.. ... > I need to format, as i mentioned before, because Windows ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: [OT]: OS as religions (was: Raw Convertors)
    ... to be a real competition to the Internet. ... WinCE isn't Windows. ... you're a closet Linux user. ... have attempted to install Linux and had problems. ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Help!
    ... I got really fed up with Windows and decided to give ... I became determined to install Linux. ... My other problem is that I can't access the internet at all. ... was told to go to Yast, edit and configure manually. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)