Comcast Cable Performance Problems

From: m_f_h (no_one_at_now_where.com)
Date: 11/04/03

Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 21:59:06 -0500

My computer is a home built unit that dual boots into Windows XP
Pro and Red Hat 9.0.

I subscribe to Comcast Cable, and in the last few months, I've
noticed a decline in their service. I'm getting a lot of messages
like "Request timeout" and "Could not connect to ..." This seems
to happens about once every three different web page requests.

Ditto for Comcast news server: comcast.giganews.

Comcast tells me that there's nothing wrong at their end, and so
we went through the usual suspects (on the Windows side): my
firewall (ZoneAlarm and Windows XP's internal), Windows Update,
and the following CLI:

C:\netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

None of these steps has produced any improvement. I suspect the
problem is somewhere between my computer and the internet; i.e.,
Comcast.

I don't live in an area that qualifies me for Verizon DSL.

How would you use Linux to document where the problem really is?
(There is also the possibility that the connection has somewhere
gotten corroded, and I'm hoping Linux can help me determine that.)