Re: Floppy Install over ppp

From: David (thunderbolt01_at_netscape.net)
Date: 11/25/03

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 01:26:56 GMT

mrc91 wrote:
> Hi, I have a PII 233 MHz system with a 3GB HD, a floppy drive, a
> malfunctioning 24x CD-ROM, a dial-up modem, and a sound card/speakers and
> printer. I want to install a distribution of Linux if it is possible, and
> I notice that many allow you to use boot floppies if the CD isn't working
> for boot or over networks. However, I don't have a network card interface,
> and my CD-ROM won't read disks at all (it won't recognize them in the drive
> in any operating system, even Windows).
>
> I currently run Windows 95, which I plan to replace with Linux, hopefully
> to run a server and/or a system with a graphical interface. Are there any
> distributions with boot disks that allow installation over PPP? My modem
> is a generic modem, and runs on COM2 in windows. Any assistance would be
> greatly appericiated.

If your dialup is disconnected then you would have to start all
over again. It use to take me almost 5 days runing 24/7 to
download one 700MB ISO. Unless your connection is rock solid 24/7
I wouldn't even attempt it over a dialup connection.

But best of luck if you try it.

--
Confucius:  He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
Registered with The Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org/

Relevant Pages

  • Re: The Microsoft stranglehold on its users....
    ... loadlin to boot up linux manually by hand from DOS. ... LILO had bugs and it was a trap because to uninstall LILO you had to get a successful boot into Linux and uninstall it from the utility. ... The latest Red Hat Workstation Linux just loads everything on your box with little or no choices and then around version 7 they started to include CDROM drivers for the new, not the old CDROM drives. ... And, I tried the trick of using the old Linux install to mount the new OS software CDROM disk, copy the whole disk to a different partition, then run the install and that would not work either. ...
    (sci.research.careers)
  • Re: Universal sound card?
    ... As soon as that machine is set up and fully functional, I intend to install ... GNU/Linux as an operating system was meant as a Windows replacement. ... GNU/Linux continues that tradition - and perhaps more so even for the Linux ... AFAIK Mandriva is not the only distribution that is this ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Of mice and men
    ... > To talk about "Linux" is really a bit of a misnomer ... ... > distribution is put together in standard install disk. ... > under Xorg screens, so can co-exist. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Anyone tried basiclinux?
    ... Don't want to see the dos prompt anymore. ... You are not prepared to use linux yet. ... and wiped out the entire install. ... Boot floppies are a legacy thing nowadays, ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: Grub Read Error on 1st boot after install
    ... > I'm new to Linux. ... > won't boot now. ... > install Linux on. ... use a second hard disk rather than just different partitions on ...
    (linux.redhat.install)