What does Suffix mean (in linux)?

From: Roxanne Kedge (missroxanner_at_excite.com)
Date: 11/27/03

Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 05:19:54 -0500

if you do man mv (you get following)

-S, --suffix=SUFFIX override the usual backup suffix

i typed "suffix" in www.dictionary.com got following...

An affix (singular of suffix?) added to the end of a word or stem, serving
to form a new word or functioning as an inflectional ending, such as -ness
in gentleness, -ing in walking, or -s in sits.

how do you override the backup suffix? (whatever suffix is?)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: A dooming dumanje
    ... Why do you think this suffix doesn't show up in any ... which is the unsuffixed verbal stem. ... Is there any connection between Slavic infinitive and Sanskrit 3rd person singular? ... For comparison "to swim" in Slovene and in the same order as in Sanskrt: ...
    (sci.lang)
  • Re: Plural or singular question
    ... "Many Inernet bussinesses have the '.com' Internet top-level domain ... suffix as part of their company name." ... He's implying, you're inferring. ... "singular they" argument available). ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: "gefilte fish" (variously spelt)
    ... and indeed I recall the suffix used ... singular and plural. ... A cat made of lead cannot fly." ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: Russian declension of last names ending in -enko
    ... genitive *plural* suffix in Russian, but a surname ending with it is ... singular. ...
    (sci.lang)
  • Re: "gefilte fish" (variously spelt)
    ... and indeed I recall the suffix used ... singular and plural. ... Any person who can confuse a crepe with kreplach has revoked his ...
    (alt.usage.english)