Re: Toward a Better Linux

From: William Ove (wove_at_mchsi.com)
Date: 11/27/03

Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 15:22:10 GMT

In <3fc52218_1@news.iprimus.com.au> www.richardsmagic.com wrote:

> ....and even before THAT, "G.E.O.S." (Graphic Environment Opperating
> System) on the old Commodore64 did a damn good job - I learnt to
> program on the old C=64 and some of the ways the old 6800 did stuff
> was astounding!
>
> Cheers, Richard

GEOS for the Commodore 64 and the PC are still available as commercial
products. GEOS for the Apple // is now being distributed as freeware by
the owner. Agreed they did a good job of handling data, however it must
be remembered that there were fewer data types. During the Commodore
64's heyday it was pretty common for instance to have graphics formats
based on the strengths of the processor in the machine and not easily
moved from one hardware platform to another.

The Commodore 64 was built on the a derivative of the 6502 processor, as
were most of the Commodore 8 bit machines.

bill

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Toward a Better Linux
    ... > Cheers, Richard ... GEOS for the Commodore 64 and the PC are still available as commercial ... Agreed they did a good job of handling data, ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • geoLink
    ... your Commodore. ... The disk is a geos 64 v2.0 bootdisk so you will need a mouse. ...
    (comp.sys.cbm)
  • Re: GEOS on a GS
    ... worth messing with. ... them to 5.25 disks and then set up a 3.5 on my real GS with GEOS. ... really continue on the Apple II like it did for the Commodore. ...
    (comp.sys.apple2)
  • Re: Geos is much better than Linux ............
    ... > So go and buy a used Commodore 64 and use GEOS, ... > better than the rubbish called Linux. ... The problem with the world is stupidity. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Almost perfect working C64 port of DOS/65 (CP/M alike but no 8080/Z80 necessary)
    ... It seems that our commodore community ... get the CP/M ... Richard said already here he has an unoptimized Small-C version already. ...
    (comp.sys.cbm)