Re: Toward a Better Linux

From: William Ove (wove_at_mchsi.com)
Date: 11/27/03

Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 15:22:10 GMT

In <3fc52218_1@news.iprimus.com.au> www.richardsmagic.com wrote:

> ....and even before THAT, "G.E.O.S." (Graphic Environment Opperating
> System) on the old Commodore64 did a damn good job - I learnt to
> program on the old C=64 and some of the ways the old 6800 did stuff
> was astounding!
>
> Cheers, Richard

GEOS for the Commodore 64 and the PC are still available as commercial
products. GEOS for the Apple // is now being distributed as freeware by
the owner. Agreed they did a good job of handling data, however it must
be remembered that there were fewer data types. During the Commodore
64's heyday it was pretty common for instance to have graphics formats
based on the strengths of the processor in the machine and not easily
moved from one hardware platform to another.

The Commodore 64 was built on the a derivative of the 6502 processor, as
were most of the Commodore 8 bit machines.

bill