Re: Rescue floppys dont usually...

From: Bit Twister (BitTwister_at_localhost.localdomain)
Date: 12/14/03

Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 22:34:01 GMT

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 16:18:22 -0800, Day Brown wrote:
> The half life of floppys seems to be about 3 weeks. Linux dont crash
> that often. I've had lots of linux crashes, but never been able to use
> the 'rescue floppy'.

Buy better diskettes. I had a coworker warn me about throwing floppies
on to desk. I did not believe him. About a week later I do a full
format with check, copy a file on diskette, flipped onto his desk and
lo and behold it was not readable. Went back, did it all over again,
checked file, dropped it about 1.5 feet and was unreadable.
Cheap diskettes suck.

> Well, is there some kind of generic alternative, that would just boot

Well some of the better distros let you boot cd 1 in a rescue mode.

> the pc and get you online so that you could download whatever you needed
> to get the distro up and running again?

Knoppix is a cd based linux system which should do what you want.

Today's Tip of the Day, very large
Frequently Asked Questions (faq) Search engine:

Knoppix in the first box
*linux* in the Newsgroup, pick English