newbie w/ linux problems

From: Sniper (sniper_at_kia.zapto.org.remove-tds-this)
Date: 12/18/03

Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 23:15:00 -0500

  To: jeff@globaltechworks.com
-=> jeff@globaltechworks.com wrote to alt.linux <=-

 je> @MSGID: <bhc1uvkc9o13p62ne0k9slgee644jbf96b@4ax.com>
 je> From Newsgroup: alt.linux

 je> thanks for all the info, but...
 je> what we want to do is a function like DIR in Windows
 je> as well we were told to stop the service that was generating the logs,
 je> but we don't know how to do this.
 je> Like I said...we are newbies, and this is a client's sys...don't know
 je> how we ended up with it, but there you go.
 je> So to refresh

Ok... a quick *nix list of commands... ls -la will "List" a
directory... remember the cd command works, but the windows \ probably
won't... the command is cd /

 je> no space left on device........
 je> how do I DIR this?

now, is the device /dev/hda1 or / <root> I would first suggest that
you do a "df" which will list all the "Devices" and how much space each
has... example.

me@kia:/home$ df
Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda2 16618696 1283372 15335324 8% /
/dev/hdb1 39076880 32840 39044040 1% /movies

Now, this can lead to other things... You'll be able to see if one of
the drives are full... <which is probably whats going on>... then you
can move to that drive and figure out whats eating up all the space...
Lets say that /var/log is a seperate drive. You can then move to that
location cd /var/log <enter> now, you can use the ls -la command above
and see what are your big files... or, if the directory has some other
subdirectories... a simple "du" command will show you how much space
each directory is using:

kia:/var/log# du
9 ./gdm
5 ./exim
793 ./mail
61 ./news
621 ./ntop
77 ./samba
965 ./squid
185 ./apache
93 ./calamaris
1 ./iptraf
257 ./ksymoops
10967 .

This shows that in /var/log I have this list of directories and this is
how much space each is using. and the last line is the "total" space
used. You can then move to that directory and see whats there.

Now, also understand this... you can't just delete log files. In some
cases, it could have diverse effects on the program itself. So, an easy
way to zero out a file.. like a log file, is "> (filename)"

 je> can't write to log file...
 je> how do I find
 je> and erase the log file?

in Linux, most log files are kept in the /var/log directory. <usually>
but in each program, it can be set independantly, and in each flavor of
Linux it could be somewhere else...

depending on the version of Linux your dealing with... you could try a
"whereis log" which may work, or do the more intensive "find" command
such as "find -iname log" and if you know the name of the log file your
looking for, such as the one it says it can't write to...

 je> I know you think you have told us how to do it...but we just don't get
 je> it, sorry for the repeated request,
 je> and thanks for all the great posters who have given thier time
 je> I know with a little help we will be able to lick this problem.

 je> This is the very first time I/we have come accross a linux system
 je> before...it is all a bit intimidating.

Linux is not something that you just sit down to and do... I started
working with *nix systems may years ago... There's still alot I need to
learn. :)

Hope that helps.

Sniper
Killed In Action BBS SysOp
telnet://kia.zapto.org
ftp://kia.zapto.org
nntp://kia.zapto.org:120

... Your call will be answered in the order in which it was ignored
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.45
--- Synchronet 3.11a-Win32 NewsLink 1.69
 * Killed In Action - Valdosta, Ga - telnet://kia.zapto.org