Firewalls

From: lurch (theoriginallurch_at_tiscali.co.uk)
Date: 12/30/03

Date: 29 Dec 2003 17:57:41 -0800

I'm new here so bear with me.
I am currently running 2 networked machines with Windows 2000
accessing the internet via a netgear FVS318 firewall and DM602
ethernet modem all working perfectly well with static IP addresses
throughout.
I borrowed the firewall and modem and will have to give them back
soon, or pay for them!
I just so happen to have an old PC lying about and a copy of Mandrake
Linux 9.1 Powerpack Edition.
I want to use the PC as a firewall and modem and also the second hard
drive within it as a file share, accessable via the internet to access
backup files etc.. securely from my laptop, (i work away a lot and
don't like to have all our clients details on the laptop for security
reasons).
I can set all this up with my current configuration but am new to
linux so wouldn't mind a few pointers on how to achieve this with the
Linux box. I'm assuming all hardware issues will be the same, i.e.
network card, DSL modem card etc.
I have just been reading up on some other aspects of Linux which I
seem to be getting the hang of but the firewall issue is getting a bit
too out of hand, there seems to be a different way every time someone
mentions a different configuration!
Thanks for any guidance you could give.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Internet Sharing - Security
    ... > router had to stay in A's computer room. ... > Now that we successfully have gained the desired internet connection, ... replace the router with a good firewall; ... >>inexpensive Linux 2.4.x firewall with Netfilter and ISC DHCP is fine. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: The PPP negotiation failed, coz serial loopback was detected
    ... both PC's HAVE the same PCI modem ... I'm not using XP's firewall. ... And using Linux on the other PC, ... as their default gateway to the world. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: networking
    ... > Really bottom line each machine will connect to the internet and each ... > Is the modem a cable or DSL modem on either PC? ... > Modem on linux is external US Robitics 56k on XP lucent PCI win modem ... >> Read the man or XP Home for details of the route statements. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • [SLE] No Suse after XP install - modem woes
    ... My main problem here was my modem. ... My neighbor then decided she found Linux more difficult than ... When I try to install Linux 10 now it gives an error 'No Hard ... can yo please tell me how I can use internet in Linux with dial-up? ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: The PPP negotiation failed, coz serial loopback was detected
    ... as their default gateway to the world. ... modem in the print-server, and it is configured and ready to connect to ... In the case of the Linux ... id10t is going to use a ppp setup to _bypass_ the company firewall). ...
    (alt.os.linux)