Re: Unix & viruses

thumb_42_at_yahoo.com
Date: 02/04/04

Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 01:53:45 GMT

Charles <nothing@nothing.com> wrote:
> Imagine....
> 2010: About 50% computer users use unix-based OSes (GNU/Linux, BSDs, Mac OS X...).
>
> Do you think crackers can develop viruses for these OSes like they're doing with Windows?
> They'd change their targets, but is it easy or possible to develop viruses against Unix?
> Thanks,

No.

Only problem I see is that Linux seems to be taking over the UNIX world, which
seems like a good thing for us Linux fans, but, ultimately is (IMO) a bad
thing.

Even if every UNIX out there were Linux, it'd still be difficult for a virus
in the traditional sense due to the security constraints of unix design.

There is the possibility of someone downloading a trojan from questionable
sources though. (Imagine an rpm that 'patches' things, since you almost
always run rpm as root, it's install scripts could do bad things, if it's a
popular rpm, it'd probably take about an hour for someone to spot it,
slashdot it, and soon the site would be down though. :-) )

Hopefully as people learn more about the realities of microsoft, they'll
also learn the importance of not executing arbitrary code from email and such.

Jamie

Relevant Pages

  • Re: "Bugbear" virus in Linux?
    ... Irresponsible sysadmins are excluded from ... You're changing the scope of the discussion from "all Linux [or Unix] ... makes it hard for viruses to propagate, to the point that few or no true ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: PING Ian Smith - Linux
    ... How many Linux viruses have you heard of? ... Errr no. Unix still exists in its own right, ... Live distros on CD or DVD, easier install routines ...
    (soc.culture.scottish)
  • Re: Why Longhorn will be Open Source
    ... >> Unix is not vulnerable to viruses. ... > Linux makes you stupid. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: PING Ian Smith - Linux
    ... How many Linux viruses have you heard of? ... Errr no. Unix still exists in its own right, ... of being user friendly but your average Windoze user ...
    (soc.culture.scottish)
    ... and aix unix course free administration ... and programming plan unix shell course ... course linux unix online administration system ...
    (sci.bio.ecology)