Re: Russian Mafia responsible for MyDoom

From: Walter Mautner (nextnews.15.eatallspam_at_spamgourmet.com)
Date: 02/07/04

Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 11:47:46 +0100

S. C. M. wrote:

> My question (because I am not able to answer it to my self) is:
>
> A Open Source operating system should be more secure ?
>
> I mean, spread and free access to the code could help to make an
> operating system more secure because a big
> number of programmers will go help to pinpoint bugs into the code ?
> Open Source could enable the System Operators to fix a bug or a virus
> vulnerability more easy and faster ?

Yes, that's one of the thoughts behind open source: many contributions from
not business-blinded people like professional programmers tend to become,
and a lot more eyes to look at the code.
Of course, that philosophy makes it - at the first glance - also easier to
exploit systems, like seen recently. But in the long run, there is nothing
like "security by obscurity". It just won't work.
Also, there are other aspects of *nix that make it superior in terms of
security by concept: *nix has been designed for multiuser from the
beginning, with process and user space separation in mind, as well as a
concept of permissions unknown to the windows world. The time Microsoft
jumped on the wagon with NT and its successors, they still kept all the
legacy DOS non-multiuser stuff, 16-bit executables and the "system" account
as a gluestick. Given the fact, a non-admin user may not install anything
that writes to the holy grail "global registry" but execute everything with
appropriate (also user-changeable) file extension received by e-mail or
download source, we can clearly identify the light at the end of the
tunnel. It's growing bigger every second as we stand and stare at it ...

 to remove offending incompatible products.  Reactivate your MS software
 (3 days grace period). [LinuxCounter#295241]

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Russian Mafia responsible for MyDoom
    ... > A Open Source operating system should be more secure? ... The time Microsoft ... 16-bit executables and the "system" account ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Delphi Bugs
    ... about in the seminal book about open source, ... Because it would greatly improve the way packages could be used in Linux. ... to work with new versions of Delphi or the operating system. ... The reason we buy third-party libraries is to save us time. ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • Re: Good bye
    ... Most of the contributions to open source software have come from people who use it in one way or another, or from commercial companies who have decided for their own reasons to add open licenses to the code they own. ... Anything that increases the user base will almost certainly increase the contributor base. ... stable, well-tested, standards-conforming software instead, it is a victory for everyone on the internet. ... When the same program works on one version of an operating system but not on another, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Remember Paradise? Remember Inferno? Play again on iOS devices from today.
    ... Not all of Android source. ... It does make a bit of a mockery of the idea of open source to behave in this manner, but it is Google we're talking about here. ... I could, if I was rich and crazy, spec up a phone, and know I can take it to market with a reasonably well spec'd operating system already available. ... Apple got a helping hand back in the '90s, or they might have fallen by the wayside, as has every single other system-specific computer manufacturer. ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.misc)
  • Re: Steve Jobs cant even give OSX away..... :)
    ... countries....too bad Apple will have nothing to do with the effort. ... "We declined because it's not open source," says Dr. Papert, noting the designers want an operating system that can be tinkered with. ... full-screen laptop that will use innovative power and will be able to do most everything except store huge amounts of data. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)