Re: arts (KDE) problem with Slackware/Linux2.6.4/Alsa

From: J.O. Aho (user_at_example.net)
Date: 03/24/04

    Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 14:23:21 +0100

    Logical wrote:
    > Using a Dell Inspiron 600m [
    > http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&id=inspn_600m ]
    > , I have KDE 3.2 installed after upgrading. Alsa is compiled with the kernel
    > (not as a module) with OSS compatibility. When starting X and logging in, I
    > continuously get the error message:
    >
    > 'Soundserver - KDE Crash Handler'
    > Soundserver (artsd) crashed and caused the signal 11 (SIGSEGV).
    >
    > Any ideas what is causing the problem? Alsa from the command line seems to
    > handle audio fine (even though at this stage it's only coming out the
    > earphones jack, not the laptop's speakers but I'm working on that).

    I had similare problems with Kernel 2.6.3, what I did was recompile arts, but
    that gave me the same problem, so I just disabled it in KDE and things worked
    fine (I'm not that much into having the MSWin emualtion of sounds everywhere),
    now with kernel 2.6.4 this seems to be gone.

    The only option that is different in the two kernels is CONFIG_PREEMPT is
    disselected in the later one.

      //Aho