Re: How do you configure imap server on Linux?

From: J.O. Aho (user_at_example.net)
Date: 05/02/04

Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 09:15:01 +0200

Geophelps wrote:
> I'm trying to log into imap using squirrelmail web front-end. I keep
> getting 'Unknown user or password incorrect.' but the username and
> password are correct! AAaaaaaaargh.

Have you started the imap service?
Many distros uses xinetd to start imap services, go to your /etc/xinetd.d and
check the file imap (or imaps if you want to use the more secure one).
Teh file usually has a row that looks something like this:

         disable = yes

Cahnge that row to

         disable = no

and restart xinetd

In Redhat and clones of it, there is a quite good tool, from SunOS if I
remeber ti right, that is called chkconfig, it is used to change which
services are run at which init level and it does handle xinetd services too.
For more info: man chkconfig

  //Aho

Relevant Pages

  • Re: IMAP server - upgrading to SuSE 9.2
    ... as I was setting up IMAP ... on my network, I picked up a customer using Exchange Server 2003, so I ... I wanted to open up the IMAP service so I could access it from ... Base, it turns out to start the IMAP server in Exchange, you first have to ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • [Full-disclosure] MailEnable IMAP DOS
    ... Synopsis: MailEnable Imap Remote DOS. ... Confirmed on MailEnable Pro 1.7 and MailEnable Enterprise 1.1 ... Author: Josh Zlatin-Amishav ... Start the IMAP service ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • MailEnable IMAP DOS
    ... Synopsis: MailEnable Imap Remote DOS. ... Confirmed on MailEnable Pro 1.7 and MailEnable Enterprise 1.1 ... Author: Josh Zlatin-Amishav ... Start the IMAP service ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: Can you merge Pines?
    ... reasonably easy way to do it, and reach stages where all my pine folders are the same. ... Pine is an IMAP client, ... Get an IMAP service provider that offers at least 1 gig of IMAP-accessible space, server-side filtering, backups & restores, and a webmail that can do global searching of your IMAP space. ...
    (comp.mail.pine)
  • Re: imap service does not start automatically on reboot
    ... That's the thing, there's nothing in there about imap, or any other errors ... about Windows 2003 or Exchange 2003... ... >> I seem to have a problem in that my imap service doesn't start ... >> automatically on rebooting the windows 2003 server. ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange2000.admin)