Re: Getting Linux info

From: Chong (chong633_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 06/28/04

Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 14:30:22 -0400

Myself i would go with Linspire very easy to install and one cd not 4 like
Mandrake
and take only 1.2 gig for install
for email its the best

"Old Guy" <jlunis@charter.net> wrote in message
> OK, 10.0 Official ISOs/i586 it is. I am not a gamer. 90% is email, net,
> word processing, speadsheets.
> Do I still need a patition if Linux will exclusively inhabit the PC
(no
> windows)?
>
> "Bit Twister" <BitTwister@localhost.localdomain> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 08:51:00 -0400, Old Guy wrote:
> > > OK, think I'll try Mandrake. Thanks for all the responses. Using a
> 800mhz
> > > PC. Umm, which Mandrake do I need?
> >
> > Depends on what you want to do with it. :)
> >
> > > Download: Mandrakelinux 10.0 Official ISOs/i586
> >
> > The 3 or 4 cd set will let you do just about anything you would want to
> do.
> >
> > Before you start the install,
> > create an empty/unformatted free ~5 gig partition.
> > After install, set the software update mirror and get your updates.
> >
> > Make sure PNP OS is off/false/no in your BIOS and there will be a
> > Zeroconf box question in the network section, leave it blank.
> > Say no to start gui on login. After install, when you get to a prompt
> > enter startx to start you gui desktop.
> >

> > Other people's Free advice:
> > http://livinginternet.com/u/ua.htm <--- Advanced Usenet Usage
> > http://tgos.org/newbie/rules.html <--- Good Usenet etiquette
> >
> > and do bookmark this very large, Frequently Asked Questions (faq) search
> engine
> > http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
> > key words(s) in the first box
> > *linux* in Newsgroup, U need 2 use *, pick English

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Linux disto question
    ... GUI programs such as word programs but does not want a GUI desktop. ... Do full install of Slackware, but go on and set default runlevel to 4 ... you'll only need to hit F12 for konsole termnial. ... first session with the settings you like best, close out the session, ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Whats with this new Debian installer?
    ... Easier translates to easier, quicker. ... from a GUI desktop can be realised in an installer too. ... A non-GUI install means that you don't need ... >require lots of RAM to install. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: CentOS 4.5 question
    ... Doug Holtz wrote: ... I install a GUI desktop off the Internet using yum or up2date? ... Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley Lake, CA, USA GPS: ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • Re: Getting Linux info
    ... > create an empty/unformatted free ~5 gig partition. ... > After install, set the software update mirror and get your updates. ... > enter startx to start you gui desktop. ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: CentOS 4.5 question
    ... I install a GUI desktop off the Internet using yum or up2date? ... Do you have a GNOME or KDE desktop rpm installed? ... I have both KDE and Gnome files sitting on the server's directories. ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)