Distro Differences??

From: Alan (dunka_at_dsl.pipex.com)
Date: 08/06/04

Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 02:59:52 +0100

I apologise as im sure this is a frequent question. But what are the
differences between the main distros of linux, i know theyre all better
at different things, but i dont know which ones best for me. I'm still
a novice user (i only use linux at uni) but i want to get started with
linux on my laptop too, prefably on a dual boot with windows. If neone
could breifly explain the differences it would be greatly appreciated.

Alan

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Linux hype ....
    ... on a Linux newsgroup people will tend to say `no'. ... I'd so far not recommend most Linux distros to non-techies ... machines with different distros on them. ... Networking, in particular NFS, can cause interesting interlocking ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • Re: which linux? (not flame bait, thank you)
    ... > am wondering which distro to run, I used redhat back at the same time I ... Debian, ... the distros I've ever played with that aren't defunct (I'll start with ... some of the problems that linux people have with Slackware ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: I want to migrate to Linux
    ... My plan is to start by booting from a LiveCD, then install Linux ... successful I will abandon WIN98SE on both machines. ... I am considering the following distros and given my goals I would ... Run Win98 in a VMware virtual machine, ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Desktop Linux Summit thoughts....
    ... I'm not bothered which Linux distro ends up ... Don't fall into the trap of thinking that different distros are entirely ... > to be the one that most mainstream computer users who make the switch to ... I know why they leave Windows. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Can HLA and X get along?
    ... Windows: "Documents and Settings" ... You can do this in Linux too, ... Exactly the same reason for Linux distros. ... GPL mouvement to destroy itself, is to split it into small ...
    (alt.lang.asm)