Distro Differences??

From: Alan (dunka_at_dsl.pipex.com)
Date: 08/06/04

Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 02:59:52 +0100

I apologise as im sure this is a frequent question. But what are the
differences between the main distros of linux, i know theyre all better
at different things, but i dont know which ones best for me. I'm still
a novice user (i only use linux at uni) but i want to get started with
linux on my laptop too, prefably on a dual boot with windows. If neone
could breifly explain the differences it would be greatly appreciated.

Alan

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Linux hype ....
    ... on a Linux newsgroup people will tend to say `no'. ... I'd so far not recommend most Linux distros to non-techies ... machines with different distros on them. ... Networking, in particular NFS, can cause interesting interlocking ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • Re: which linux? (not flame bait, thank you)
    ... > am wondering which distro to run, I used redhat back at the same time I ... Debian, ... the distros I've ever played with that aren't defunct (I'll start with ... some of the problems that linux people have with Slackware ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: I want to migrate to Linux
    ... My plan is to start by booting from a LiveCD, then install Linux ... successful I will abandon WIN98SE on both machines. ... I am considering the following distros and given my goals I would ... Run Win98 in a VMware virtual machine, ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Dumb question.....
    ... W> BUT Thats always been on hardware with some horsepower, ... W> The last time I ran linux on a workstation was when 7.1 was released, ... All of the modern distros have pretty the same ... I could remove this disk if I wanted, so really RH 9 is only using 8gig ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Desktop Linux Summit thoughts....
    ... I'm not bothered which Linux distro ends up ... Don't fall into the trap of thinking that different distros are entirely ... > to be the one that most mainstream computer users who make the switch to ... I know why they leave Windows. ...
    (alt.os.linux)