Distro Differences??

From: Alan (dunka_at_dsl.pipex.com)
Date: 08/06/04

Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 02:59:52 +0100

I apologise as im sure this is a frequent question. But what are the
differences between the main distros of linux, i know theyre all better
at different things, but i dont know which ones best for me. I'm still
a novice user (i only use linux at uni) but i want to get started with
linux on my laptop too, prefably on a dual boot with windows. If neone
could breifly explain the differences it would be greatly appreciated.

Alan

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Linux hype ....
    ... on a Linux newsgroup people will tend to say `no'. ... I'd so far not recommend most Linux distros to non-techies ... machines with different distros on them. ... Networking, in particular NFS, can cause interesting interlocking ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • Re: which linux? (not flame bait, thank you)
    ... > am wondering which distro to run, I used redhat back at the same time I ... Debian, ... the distros I've ever played with that aren't defunct (I'll start with ... some of the problems that linux people have with Slackware ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: I want to migrate to Linux
    ... My plan is to start by booting from a LiveCD, then install Linux ... successful I will abandon WIN98SE on both machines. ... I am considering the following distros and given my goals I would ... Run Win98 in a VMware virtual machine, ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Can HLA and X get along?
    ... Windows: "Documents and Settings" ... You can do this in Linux too, ... Exactly the same reason for Linux distros. ... GPL mouvement to destroy itself, is to split it into small ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: Dumb question.....
    ... W> BUT Thats always been on hardware with some horsepower, ... W> The last time I ran linux on a workstation was when 7.1 was released, ... All of the modern distros have pretty the same ... I could remove this disk if I wanted, so really RH 9 is only using 8gig ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)