Re: Linux, success or failure

From: Matt_left_coast (not_at_chance.org)
Date: 08/16/04

    Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 23:25:23 -0700

    Wally wrote:

    > Have installed Linux Mandrake 10 Community.

    You may want to use Mandrake 10 Official, since Community is not really
    meant as a production release.

    > The first install was a bitch fight between it and XP which I lost,
    > had to reinstall both OS's. Not a problem, such is life.
    > Second install went great, everything found and setup OK., except for
    > the network between my wifes XP system and the new linux. No go yet. I
    > Like the look of both KDE and Gnome.
    > Can anyone shed some light on where there is some docs on the net that
    > speak plain speak rather than expert gobblespeak. Tried google, but
    > the returns are more fustrating by what they leave out for a newbie
    > rather than what the explain.

    Google for the Linux Documentation Project and look at the HOWTOs

    > I have to say, Linux seems good, but has defeated me once before
    > because I needed to have the systems working together asp before but I
    > have some time to spare now.

    Then get windows to talk to Linux! I fail to see why it is always Linux's
    problem when Windows and Linux don't talk with each other. But if you
    insist on making it a Linux issue and forcing Linux to speak MS proprietary
    networking, use webmin to set up samba.

    > Any flames will be enjoyed as it is bloody cold here today.
    > Thanks for any helpful advice.

    • Re: ~article~ Are you Googles gopher?
      ... Google has just taken on legions of new workers. ... Aren't you using Windows 98 SE? ... And lets face it, since Linux aint used by the majority, it will be ... The short life and hard times of a Linux virus ...
      (alt.internet.search-engines)
    • Re: ~article~ Are you Googles gopher?
      ... Google has just taken on legions of new workers. ... Aren't you using Windows 98 SE? ... And lets face it, since Linux aint used by the majority, it will be ... The short life and hard times of a Linux virus ...
      (alt.internet.search-engines)
    • Re: Windows Vista - and registering programs...
      ... suites, and many another software package, the best seem generally to ... be made for windows. ... packages and applications where linux users seem to lose out, ... google investment making. ...
      (soc.culture.irish)
    • Re: Zukunft von Linux
      ... Aber sag mal, _willst_ du nicht kapieren, dass es bei Linux _genau gleich_ ist? ... Windows nicht. ... Google hinweist; mich wuerde aber mal interessieren welche Antworten ich ... kann ein Fragesteller schlicht und er- ...
      (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
    • Re: MS again admits being guilty for the PC Game decline
      ... I go to my favourite radio station www.somafm.com and it ... The dual screen handling is way and above superior to windows mce! ... As for your problem: google up automatix. ... Real Player for linux sucks. ...
      (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action)