configure: error: cannot find ssl library - PROBLEM

From: Simon (s.j.bussey_at_NOSPAMhw.ac.uk)
Date: 09/11/04

    Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 11:55:40 GMT

    Hi,

    I'm using Linux Mandrake 10.1 (RC1) and I have tried to build a program
    called 'gtmess' using the 'configure' script. The script comes back with
    the errors:

    checking for SSL_library_init in -lssl... no
    checking if -lssl exists in alternate location... no
    configure: error: cannot find ssl library

    However I do have openssl installed with the distro, "OpenSSL 0.9.7d 17 Mar
    2004"

    I'm still quite new to Linux and was hopign someone could help me solve the
    problem,

    thanks
    Simon
    (the script feedback is included below in it's entirety)

    [root@linuxbox gtmess-0.8.2]# ./configure
    checking for mawk... no
    checking for gawk... gawk
    checking for gcc... gcc
    checking for executable suffix...
    checking for object suffix... o
    checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
    checking for strerror in -lcposix... no
    checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
    checking for ranlib... ranlib
    checking for ANSI C header files... yes
    checking for sys/wait.h that is POSIX.1 compatible... yes
    checking for arpa/inet.h... yes
    checking for errno.h... yes
    checking for fcntl.h... yes
    checking for netdb.h... yes
    checking for netinet/in.h... yes
    checking for stdlib.h... yes
    checking for string.h... yes
    checking for sys/socket.h... yes
    checking for sys/time.h... yes
    checking for unistd.h... yes
    checking for inline... inline
    checking for sys/types.h... yes
    checking for sys/stat.h... yes
    checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
    checking for string.h... (cached) yes
    checking for memory.h... yes
    checking for strings.h... yes
    checking for inttypes.h... yes
    checking for stdint.h... yes
    checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
    checking for size_t... yes
    checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
    checking whether struct tm is in sys/time.h or time.h... time.h
    configure: runtime data will be read from ${prefix}/share/gtmess
    checking for pid_t... yes
    checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
    checking for vfork.h... no
    checking for fork... yes
    checking for vfork... yes
    checking for working fork... (cached) yes
    checking for working vfork... (cached) yes
    checking return type of signal handlers... void
    checking for gettimeofday... yes
    checking for localtime_r... yes
    checking for memmove... yes
    checking for memset... yes
    checking for mkdir... yes
    checking for mkfifo... yes
    checking for select... yes
    checking for strchr... yes
    checking for strdup... yes
    checking for strerror... yes
    checking for strrchr... yes
    checking for strstr... yes
    checking for socket... yes
    checking for gethostbyname... yes
    checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... yes
    checking for initscr in -lncurses... yes
    [root@linuxbox gtmess-0.8.2]#