Re: Video editing in Linux?

From: Ian Molton (spyro_at_f2s.com)
Date: 10/28/04

Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 19:44:20 +0100

SjT wrote:
>>And all too often there is not. if you have the source and NEED a fix
>>that no-one else has provided, at least you *HAVE* the option of paying
>>someone else to do it (which you dont have with CSS)
>
> Sure you do, you buy the competing product if you're going to spend
> more money.

Didnt someone mention ROI? Making everyone learn a new UI when you could
spend (probably) less and simply get the bug fixed / feature added seems
a bit stupid...

> You could quite easily get into linux due to the unsecure Open source
> software available surely?!

Like any system, run insecure stuff and you will pay the price.

However most software under linux is either well engineered or has
benefitted from the scrutiny of many.

>>Why would linux be any more vulnerable than windows? If anything, even
>>if the code in linux were as poor as that in windows, it'd still be less
>>susceptible because it runs on a far broader range of hardware (one
>>virus wouldnt run on all linux machines).
>
> Of course it would because you would be compiling it to your kernel, i
> thought the whole point of *nix was that you could take the source and
> compile it to your setup?

You dont compiler userspace code for your kernel (on the whole) you
build it for the CPU architecture in use.

What was the point you were trying to make above?

>>Perhaps. I personally dont care if it eevr becomes mainstream, as long
>>as its there for me to use as an alternative.
>
> So you don't use it as your primary OS?

I use it *exclusively*. I have one windows machine - a laptop that
dual-boots windows and mandrake linux, which I use when I need to
reverse engineer some stupid closed source piece of hardware or software
in order tyo make use of it under linux.

> What would you state as being Linux's weak spot?

It doesnt have one. Its annoying that some vendors of hardware dont
support it but there are many others to choose from. as linux use
increases, hardware firms will have to sit up and take notice.

>>If you were using them, there cant have been much 'finishing off' required.
>>I'll call your bluff though. which utilities?
>
> They were just simple utilities mainly for converting divx/mpeg etc
> and there were promises of new codecs and a few bug fixes (I.e i
> remember one utility would only render from 3 mins into the start of
> the footage) they were never added so went back to TMPegEnc on
> windows.

I repeat, *which* utilities?

> I may give it yet another try though, as before i had ISDN and could
> never get the terminal adapter installed and was limited to using my
> 33k external modem (noo),

My TA emulated a modem, as did most others.

> now i'm using standard PPPoE protocol for
> broadband it should be piss easy so i can have a play and see how
> things have progressed.

Go on then...

>>one company finds, fixes, and submits a patch for a bug in the USB code,
>>both companies benefit.
>
> That has nothing to do with linux OS though,

I didnt say it did. it IS however a benefit of OSS however. for CSS the
problem would be noticed by the vendors and *if* they didnt give up and
find a workaround, it would take possibly months for M$ to sort things
out before releaseing a fix that may or may not be made available to
both vendors (M$ like to cover up their blunders, if they dont *appear*
to be affecting the majority - this has been seen before).

> its just that the commercial software for windows is CSS
> for obvious reasons.. i.e. security being one major reason.

CSS software in general has a worse reputation for security holes. take
a look at IIS and apache for example. and even M$ admit that OBSD is far
more secure than their own OS.

How come M$ dont host their DNS on windows systems, by the way?

>>Hmm. XMMS *never* crashed on me, and mplayer will play movie files
>>correctly that wont play properly on my friends winbox and SVCD player.
>
> I will bare that in mind, no doubt i will be dusting off my SuSE
> boxset after our conversation :)
>
> Unless you could recommend a distro for me? ;)

Personally I build my own linux OS ('distro') based loosely on LFS
(http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/)

Mandrake appear to have a reasonable distro out there, although I found
their 10.0 release to be somewhat unstable.

>>My little server/firewall box has had 3 years of 24/7 runtime without
>>ANY crashes (its been downed about 6 times in those three years, 2 for
>>moving house and 2 for kernel upgrades. one was an accidental cable yank
>>by me, and one was my darling toddler) It has been online the *entire*
>>of the rest of the time barring a 3 day outage when the billing for my
>>DSL screwed up, and has NEVER caught any kind of virus or worm.
>
> I have a windows 2000 server here at work that has been happily
> ticking over since we got it which is a few years, no problems.

I'll bet its not been on constantly the whole time. besides, whats its
duties?

> The difference is i'm looking at Linux on a personal use basis not as
> a server, i've got a netgear router and that does everything i need
> re: sharing net connection around the house.

Not a problem. theres 2 major desktop environments available and half a
dozen 'windowmanagers' of similar quality.

> I'm looking at linux from the perspective of a single user machine for
> Video, Audio and general leisure activities.. You think it is up to
> scratch to provide me that without causing me aggro?

for playback certainly - I said before that mplayer is happy to play
anything I've thrown at it - realmedia, MSMPEG4, AVis of all flavours,
DVDs, VCDs, SVCDs, you name it - and in all cases at least as well as
windows did, often as not better. xmms or beep will play mp3 / ogg type
files and is compatible with winamp skinning (to a point).

Ive not explored video editing much, although I have done re-encoding
(single and multipass) with good results.

audio input I havent bothered with beyond my radio astronomy hobby
stuff, which should suffice.

>>mplayer is a far better media player than anything I know of under
>>windows. (except the windows port of mplayer)
>
> Winamp is my weapon of choice, and i can't fault it as yet, i will try
> mplayer when i next install though, deffo.

winamp (certainly used to be) is a good player.

>>>1. Run audio applications akin to cubase sx 2 (24 bit 96khz adio
>>>processing at 5ms) with a huge library of plugin support.
>>
>>Linux has been doing that with sub 2ms latency for quite a while.
>>RTlinux variants have sub 1ms latency.
>
> Sounds great! What sofware is available then? I couldn't find anything
> a year back that came close, just want audio, FX, and midi softsynths
> nothing too dramatic. any ideas? any sites that could guide me?

Off the top of my head I dont know. I wrote my own tools for some
specific tasks (tracking weather sattelites on my radio).

on the commandline I would guess sox can handle things.

why do you want ll audio anyhow?

> Another thing can you get those shortcut keys to run scripts on Linux
> (Like you see Dell keyboards have) i've started using these alot for
> the volume control and would miss them :D

sure - just knock up a keymap that includes them and run some tool that
runs scripts when you press them.

Im sure you'll understand the vendor software wont run on anything but
windows, so you will need to set it up yourself.

>>>2. Run video applications akin to Vegas Video.
>>
>>Not one Im familiar with - maybe it can run under wine?
>
> That's pointless, it's all or nothing for me,

Why? if there was something I needed windows for I'd dual boot. use the
right tool for the job. however...

> i can't be dealing with
> having to manage 2 seperate OS's and having to create a FAT32
> partition for them to share.

You either havent used or didnt bother to research wine.

you dont need a fat32 partition to use it, you can install the win$
software onto the linux native filesystem.

think of wine as a binary compatability layer for windows apps under
linux, and a collection of common windows DLLS rebuilt for linux.

>>I havent needed IE for 5 years now and counting. Mozilla is a far
>>superior browser in terms of both performance and render quality.
>

> The one i used last was shitty and everyone was saying how great it
> was, i think it was called YAST or something or KDEExplorer, i cant
> quite remember but it was the default for the SuSE distro i bought and
> i'm sure it had a ships wheel as its logo very similar to netscape.

What a load of rot. YAST is suses installer and god knows what
KDEexplorer is. as to the logo I dont believe you.

besides since mozilla is available for windows (as you SHOULD know) you
ought to be able to recognise mozilla when you see it.

> Wasn't impressed with it at all.

KDEs browser is called Konqueror and is actually very capable.

>>>4. Share files easily within my NTFS partitions.
>>
>>linux has NTFS read support. dunno about write. Quite honestly, NTFS
>>sucks for both speed and stability.
>
> Yeah i tried the NTFS driver, one supposedly wrote, but not very well,
> and it was VERY slow.
>
> Shame really as most XP users are fully NTFS'd up now and so to get
> linux on would require either a new hdd or partitoning an existing one
> (Scary stuff:)

What do you expect? M$ are deliberately keeping NTFS closed to make it
hard to transition from w$ to another OS. they also keep making
deliberate trivial changes so that anyone attempting to write an NTFS
filesystem driver is constantly playing catch-up.

NTFS *is* a farily sophisticated filesystem, even if M$ cant make it
work properly or fast...

besides. HDD space is so cheap now that if you actually WANTED to make
an interoperable system you'd stick a couple o gigs of shared fat32 on
the disc too, rather than making a flawed argument about how linux not
supporting NTFS fully limits you.

> Does that support shoutcast do you know?

playback, certainly. mplayer can use w$ codecs so that you can play any
media even if its using unported closed codecs, rather than open
standard codecs.

> And can you run a shoutcast server?

Presumably. I havent ever felt the need to find out.