Re: Old Guy Yoper

From: Moe Trin (ibuprofin_at_painkiller.example.tld)
Date: 10/29/04

Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 20:27:55 -0500

In article <10nvirelbdami83@corp.supernews.com>, Dr. deb wrote:

>I posted a couple of days ago about Yoper not finding my modem and "Old Guy"
>told me to set the serial port with "/bin/setserial/" The problem is that
>Yoper does not recognize the command. Where to from here coach?

As mentioned, I'm not familiar with Yoper. /bin/aetserial has been a
required part of every Linux installation I've worked with for the
past ten years. I can't think of an alternative.

[compton ~]$ apropos serial
minicom (1) - friendly serial communication program
mouse (4) - serial mouse interface
serial_cs (4) - PCMCIA serial port driver
setconsole (8) - sets the systems console to local video or
                            serial console
setserial (8) - get/set Linux serial port information
statserial (1) - display serial port modem status lines
ttys (4) - serial terminal lines
[compton ~]$ whereis setserial
setserial: /bin/setserial /usr/man/man8/setserial.8
[compton ~]$

I take it that you found the modem using something weird for I/O. You
might also have a look at your boot scripts. These are normally in
/etc/rc.d/ or similar. In a lot of systems, there is an rc.serial
that is used to run commands effecting the serial ports. See if you
have such a script - it may tell you _where_ setserial is hiding if
it's not in the normal place. If it does talk about /bin/setserial
that means the package exists, and you didn't install it.

        Old guy