USB Harddisk carshes

From: Stephane (Stephane_at_root.com)
Date: 11/03/04

Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 07:19:08 -0800

Hello there,

I have an USB Harddsik as backup.
It seems to be correctly mounted
I can backup when small amount of Datas.. (30 Gb)
Now, if I want to backup about 110 Gb -> crash of the complete system !! (no
more access to machine...)
(enough space on the harddisk !! (200Gb)
I start the backup with :" cp -rBu /home /mnt/usb "

2) Do you know , if there is any log file which can give me some
indicationabout the traffic on the USB harddisk ?
3) What kind of test I can do ?
4) Any idea of this problem ?

Do you know to swith off ALL the services by script file ? ( I may have
better result when all the services are stopped.... but not great !)

Thanks, Stephane

Relevant Pages

  • USB Harddisk craches...
    ... I have an USB Harddsik for backup. ... I can backup when small amount of Datas.. ... if there is any log file which can give me some ... indication about the traffic on the USB harddisk? ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • RE: Error with SBS backup
    ... Error 800423f4 appears in the backup log file when you back up a volume by ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Still dont understand log backups
    ... The transaction log, whether or not it is one or many files, is a serial, ... until the end of the physical log file is reached. ... backup is executed, the active "virtual" logs are backed up, but the ... Using BULK LOGGED, does the online log file contain EVERY transaction for all time -- given that I don't truncate it manually? ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)
  • Re: Can anyone crash course me in SQL maintenance?
    ... There is nothing you could do to make SQL Server dump logged transactions before they get committed to the data. ... If you take a nightly full db backup, that would leave you with 24 hours of vulnerability to data loss. ... The log file can be much smaller than the data since it only records the transactions that occur. ... So if someone accidentally deletes important data, you can restore a copy of the database exactly as it was 1 second before that mistake. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: suitable plan for Log backup
    ... After the transaction log backup, I have tried to perform the shrinkfile command but I got the error message as below: ... How can I reduce the log file size in this situation? ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)