Re: NTFS

From: ray (ray_at_zianet.com)
Date: 12/06/04

Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 21:20:40 -0700

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 19:02:08 -0800, chris2 wrote:

> Please forgive me if this is not a good place to post the question.. I
> don't know of any other groups which may be more relevant.
>
> I have done a bit of research, and have found out that writing to an
> NTFS partition is perfectly fine if the file size doesn't change, thus
> I can setup a loopback device to do whatever manipulating I need to do
> on the partition... but if I do this, can I access the files somehow
> from my windows installation? I dual boot with windows XP, and would
> like to access this data from both operating systems freely, without
> changing to fat32.
>
> Any help is appreciated..
>
> Thank you,
> Chris Babstock

Last time I checked, there was a utility for MS called explore2fs which
would read-only ext2 (and hence, by extension) ext3 partitions. That was
all I could find.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Dual-boot XP/XP?
    ... Just install Windows XP on the first partition and then install it again on the second partition, that is all there is to it. ... You can install it to as many partitions as you want on the same disk, you can even install it on logical drives if you want, only the system files need to be on the primary active partition, the rest can be installed wherever you want as often as you want, it is only limited to the size of the disk and the number of available partitions. ... The easiest way is to clone your Windows installation to a second hard disk. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Does FAL problem exist in WinCE 5.0?????
    ... Override common setting to enable automatic formatting of unformatted ... I was perfoming partition driver test on NAND flash.The partition ... >>> Formatting store 0x27c4435a ... >>> Writing known data to partition 0x87db123a ...
  • Re: Does FAL problem exist in WinCE 5.0?????
    ... I was perfoming partition driver test on NAND flash.The partition ... >> Writing known data to partition 0x87db123a ... the compactor can't be started ... >> sectors in a critical compaction stage. ...
  • Re: Crazy XP reinstall...what does this all mean???
    ... -- here is what I got when I tried to delete the partition: ... folder already exists that may contain a windows installation. ... unrecommended choice of selecting the NTFS partition again with the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Securely deleting *Windows* files (was Re: simple way to securely destroy deleted files in a fil
    ... Linux tools and the partition just happens to be a Windows installation* ... Attached is a Python script I use to "zero" out the free space of a mounted partition. ... print loc + ' is an invalid mount point' ...
    (Debian-User)