Re: Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro?

From: Joe Cipale (joec_at_aracnet.com)
Date: 01/01/05

Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2005 09:57:40 -0800

Larry I Smith wrote:

> Scott Smith wrote:
> > Some time back, I installed RedHat Linux on a Dell Dimension XPS T800r box
> > at home and set up CVS, Samba, Eclipse, and a few other things on it. About
> > a year later, RedHat stopped free updates/support for weekend users like me,
> > so I'm looking to switch to another distro.
> >
> > A friend at work recommended SuSE. I went to the web site, but had trouble
> > figuring out what to download. The RedHat stuff came on CD and was easy to
> > set up.
> >
> > I don't want to start a war here, but can someone recommend a distro that is
> > friendly to a non-power user such as myself? (and maybe point me to the CD
> > images or whatever?)
> >
> > Thanks very much in advance.
> >
> > -Scott
> >

> Normally, you purchase 'SuSE Linux Professional' from your
> nearest computer store (Best Buy, Fry's, etc) for $89 US.
> It includes 2 printed manuals, 2 dual-layer DVD's, and 5
> CD's. The Install DVD (DVD 1) contains the entire distro
> (Linux and 1000+ apps). DVD 2 contains all of the sources.
> The 5 CD's contain a 'reduced' version of the distro (not
> as many apps) for those folks who can't boot from a DVD.
>
> As of SuSE Pro v9.2 (the current version), SuSE no longer
> provides downloadable ISO files for the entire distro.
>
> Regards,
> Larry
>
> --

GO to linuxcd.org. They are a eurpean outfit that have ALL of the
distros
available for order. I purchssed a 3-pack (SuSE 9.2, Mandrake 10.1,
Fedora Core 2) for $30.00 USD (Including shipping!)

They are prompt, courteous... and ssecure! As far as a distro to use, I
prefer SuSE, but simply becuase it has a look and feel closer to Solaris
to me.

Joe

--
#                   Penguinix Consulting                   #

Relevant Pages