Re: how to transfer files from one os to another

From: Richard Asbridge (richard_at_vorax.org)
Date: 04/11/05

Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 23:05:10 +0100

Daniel Jones wrote:

> Hello, I'm relatively new to Linux and am enjoying it immensely (I am
> running SuSe 9.1), however, I also have windows 2000 as it still has
> some important docs that I need to keep. Each OS has it's own hd and
> neither OS sees the other hard drive. My question is how can I transfer
> files from one hd to the other without having to burn cd's and flop
> between OS? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

make a directory somewhere e.g.

/windows/c

now use the mount command to mount your windows partition on your directory
e.g.

mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /windows/c

or you can add a line to your /etc/fstab file that looks like this and your
mount will take places automatically during boot e.g.

/dev/hda1 /windows/c ntfs defaults,ro,umask=0000

It' would help if you also read the manual page for the mount command by
typing man mount at the bash prompt

Hope this helps you

Good luck