Re: how to transfer files from one os to another

From: Richard Asbridge (richard_at_vorax.org)
Date: 04/11/05

Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 23:05:10 +0100

Daniel Jones wrote:

> Hello, I'm relatively new to Linux and am enjoying it immensely (I am
> running SuSe 9.1), however, I also have windows 2000 as it still has
> some important docs that I need to keep. Each OS has it's own hd and
> neither OS sees the other hard drive. My question is how can I transfer
> files from one hd to the other without having to burn cd's and flop
> between OS? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

make a directory somewhere e.g.

/windows/c

now use the mount command to mount your windows partition on your directory
e.g.

mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /windows/c

or you can add a line to your /etc/fstab file that looks like this and your
mount will take places automatically during boot e.g.

/dev/hda1 /windows/c ntfs defaults,ro,umask=0000

It' would help if you also read the manual page for the mount command by
typing man mount at the bash prompt

Hope this helps you

Good luck

Relevant Pages

  • Re: read/only root filesystem strategy
    ... Turned out my root file system was ... Doing a mount directly ... If we changed the mount command to automatically ... Only that user is allowed to umount ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.system)
  • How do I make mount wait for modules to load
    ... I'm having some issues with mounting a USB flash drive at boot ... Further down in rc.S I attempt to mount the drive ... I can use the mount command from the ... that the mount command would automatically load the usb-storage module, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: read/only root filesystem strategy
    ... | you want to be persistent across reboots. ... | your mount points. ... | 1) Generic file system independend options. ... | 3) Options handled entirely by the mount command ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.system)
  • Re: [RFC][Resend] Make NFS-Client readahead tunable
    ... The mount command has passed a string of options to the kernel for ... client to parse a string of mount options in the kernel was added only ... the mount command parsed these options. ... For implementation/testing purposes I have some freedom in what userland I run. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Autofs under Fedora-12
    ... I have exactly the same settings that I had in Fedora-11, ... but the mount command is not being completed at boot-time, ... I meant the mount command: ... I just checked on another similar (Thinkpad T43) computer running Fedora-12. ...
    (Fedora)