Re: mandrake 10.1 too slow

From: Rodney Kelp (Rodneykelp605_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 04/11/05

Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 09:45:13 -0400

"Alexei A. Frounze" <alexfru@chat.ru> wrote in message
news:3bst42F6jvc82U2@individual.net...
> What exactly can be the reason for the laptop slowness
> (open office 1.1 writer takes 1.5 min to start on mandrake linux 10.1
> kernel
> 2.6.8), more detailed info:
> 1. CPU: AMD-K6-2 400 MHz
> 2. RAM: 192 MB
> 3. HDD: (neighbour?) track seek: 4.7 ms, average (track or sector?) seek:
> 13.0 ms, data transfer speed: 2862 KB/second;
> now on my desktop the same test reports:
> HDD: (neighbour?) track seek: 1.2 ms, average (track or sector?) seek: 5.7
> ms, data transfer speed: 5263 KB/second
> 4. FS: journaled ext3 used
>
> I've studied top's output and it said that besides X, lots of memory is
> eaten by several kdeinit's and some other things. But 4 kdeinits eating
> 14+MB each is very scary. Why do I need 4 of these fatties??? Then there's
> some magicdev eating 6MB more.
>
> Would you think it's the HDD that makes application startup slow? Would
> you
> think it's again the HDD bottleneck when a big app (open office) runs out
> of
> physical memory and resorts to the slow disk I/O? What would you say is
> better: extend RAM to 256 MB or change the HDD? Can it be that ext3 is
> significantly slower on such a computer than ext2?
>
> Windows seems to work apparently faster, but I have problems with
> installing
> w2k or wxp onto this computer... :(
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
Your laptop is just too slow and lacking in memory. Xwindows and your window
manager take all your memory. Running OOo just causes everyting to be
swapped out from memory to your swap file. Office is very memory intensive.
The original harddrive in those old laptops was very slow too. Try upgrading
it to a new 40gig with 8.5 ms access time. Your memory is maxed out so
forget that avenue.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Stopping future exploits after the XP apocalypse.
    ... to modify THE PRELIMINARY INJUNCTION in support of the CROSS MOTION TO VACATE THE PRELIMINARY INJUNCTION. ... Windows XP safely and securely on his several boxes. ... I had Vista 64 bit on my dead Toshiba laptop and I have Vista 32 bit on my dead Gateway laptop. ... I wonder if I could use the memory from the other Toshiba to add to this Toshiba, and/or what the benefit would be to have the extra memory. ...
    (alt.2600)
  • Re: Troubles back! :-)
    ... It's 'easy peasy lemon squeezy' Jackie ... Windows XP, but then hit a snag -- her machine wasn't really fast enough ... and didn't have enough memory. ... I had used Open Office for all my correspondence when we only had the one ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)
  • Re: Help reading my dump file and know whats wrong with my laptop?
    ... them i check the driver and it was from MS, them i download the driver from ... Now i'm locking for another memory and test. ... lines at the top and the Bottom and them goes to the windows desktop. ... I have a HP laptop ze1210, well this one have a AMD ...
  • Re: Install 4GB into laptop whose manufacturer claims 2GB as MAXIMUM
    ... ignore HP claim of maixmum memory = ... You can install 2GB+2GB sticks, you'll get 3.25GB usable by Windows, I ... not 2GB as HP claimed on my laptop specs. ... regular Corsair - made in Colorado, CA, world's top ...
  • Re: Install 4GB into laptop whose manufacturer claims 2GB as MAXIMUM
    ... Intel945 chipset is hardwired for 32-bit adddresses so Windows whether it be 32 or 64bit is not a limitation, it's the chipset which is a limitation, STILL it can address 4GB, not 2GB as HP claimed on my laptop specs. ... I use strictly CORSAIR memory - not their Valueselect series, but regular Corsair - made in Colorado, CA, world's top speed/US-designed/US-made maker, with their valueselect line outsourced to Taiwan but regular still made in USA. ...