Re: "kernel panic" -- any help/ideas?

From: santo (nanci_at_auroville.org.in)
Date: 05/27/05

Date: 26 May 2005 20:39:26 -0700

I do not know what happened. I tryed to answer you two times but my
replies never appeared. I try one more time...

I am newbie to linux but I would like to try to answer... I am using
Mandrake10.1 and I have installed fedora and Suse...

I do not much about the partition numbering system of linux but I have
never seen "swap" on hdb1.
Normally on hdb1 should be "/" and then ,when you create "swap", it
goes to hdb5 automatically(?)... anyway...

...can you boot Mandrake?
if yes go as root to MCC, the first option on the list is "boot" click
and then click "boot loader"-
give a label - add the partition where Suse is installed ( hdb2...?)
and then select the image ( it should be there already you only have to
select it...)
click "ok" or "finish" , this will change the lilo.cong file and you do
not need to run it before reboot. After rebooting Suse should boot...

well I hope it works :-}

I do not know about the "append" string , the lilo man page is quite
criptic when it explain it, I will also be happy if someone could
explain it in more "clearly...
santo

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Display Problems
    ... > It sounds like the X server has the incorrect video card selected, ... > HOWTO on installing nVidia drivers in SuSE: ... > you initially start the PC, after the BIOS tests and device recognition ... > stopped, you can type in boot parameters, one of them is the 3 to boot to ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • [opensuse] Co-existing in a dynamic network Howto?
    ... I have several computers running SuSE and use fstab to do a number of automounts of file systems that exist on other computers within our network. ... I use fstab to define what I want automounted, so as to be able to run some scripts that access available remote file systems during boot up. ... during boot up, if the automount process finds one computer that does not exist, it times out and seems to give up on mounting any of the rest of the computers in the list. ...
    (SuSE)
  • [opensuse] Bugs: in SuSE11 - Grub boot & fsck.xfs enhancement[sic]
    ... But that wasn't the syntax that the SuSE installer placed in my boot file. ... isn't that a fundamental bug or flaw in how SuSE is setting ...
    (SuSE)
  • [SLE] GRUB/RAID/Root Partition problem
    ... I am running SuSE 9.1 on a dual boot system with XP Home. ... /dev/hda7 35.1GB Linux RAID ... Last night after moving the computer's location, SuSE locked up on load. ... I have around 100GB of data on the RAID partitions that I ...
    (SuSE)
  • Update on GRUB loader still need help
    ... SuSE is installed default ReiseFS on only the second drive. ... I can do is boot to install disk one and tell the install to boot to the ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)