Re: Windows data recovery using Linux

From: Enkidu (enkidu.com_at_com.cliffp.com)
Date: 07/10/05

Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 11:15:37 +1200

Mark Hobley wrote:
> Walter Mautner <newsleaf.20.eatallspam@spamgourmet.com> wrote:
>
>>RICHARD BROMBERG wrote:
>>

>>>I am interested in recovering data from crashed Windows systems.
>>>In this respect I recently tested Knoppix.
>>>

> I have some notes on backing up and restoring Windows systems on Linux.
>
> http://markhobley.yi.org/linux/howto/9xbackup.html
> http://markhobley.yi.org/linux/howto/xpbackup.html
> http://markhobley.yi.org/linux/howto/w23backup.html
> http://markhobley.yi.org/linux/howto/9xrestore.html
> http://markhobley.yi.org/linux/howto/xprestore.html
> http://markhobley.yi.org/linux/howto/w23restore.html
>
> Windows XP and Windows 2003 may require a boot record fix following a restore:
>
> http://markhobley.yi.org/windows/winxp/howto/fixboot.html
> http://markhobley.yi.org/windows/win2003/howto/fixboot.html
>
> I'm sorry but I don't have anything else on Windows system recovery.

To add to what Mark says, I advocate using Bart's PE as a
recovery tool. It provides a true Windows environment to
recover disks from and is an invaluable tool. *Sometimes*
this works better.

If this has already been mentioned in the thread (I missed
the earlier posts) I apaologise.

Cheers,

Cliff

  • Re: Wheres the metadata?
    ... in FreeBSD,then format it to NTFS in windows. ... then I dd'ed that to my 16GB ADATA USB flash thingy. ... of my Windows systems to do that format. ... # glabel dump /dev/da0 ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Wheres the metadata?
    ... use newfs_msdos in FreeBSD,then format it to NTFS in windows. ... I could boot FreeBSD ... of my Windows systems to do that format. ... # glabel dump /dev/da0 ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Samba wont dance (more info)
    ... Thus if you have a network server that you want to be master and be ... capable of managing domain logons and be the domain controller (i.e. an ... of joining Windows computer to a domain, ... I tend to only set up as a PDC where Windows systems are 'joined' to the ...
    (Fedora)
  • Apple murders children and trees.... :(
    ... Another company that rapes the environment and tramples on ... Do we even have to mention the horrible human rights violation committed by ... "Mac OS X still remains safer than Windows because its relatively ... than Windows systems. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Fake flash memories?
    ... Windows XP encourages the creation of all users with administrator ... There's also the fact that a greater proportion of Linux users (than ... Vista comes to account for more and more home Windows systems it will ... How many of the serious threats like key loggers are written out of a hatred ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)