Debian desktop problem - please help (also in alt.comp.os.linux)

From: Neil Hindry (n_nospam_hindry_at__nospam_hotmail.com)
Date: 08/16/05

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 12:00:44 +0100

I wonder if you can help me. I am a complete novice in Linux.and have
installed my first Linux distribution.

I created a partition on my Dell laptop and installed Debian 3.1 on the new
partition. Windows XP Pro is on the other partition.

I installed Debian and everything seemed to be okay. However I then noticed
I had a problem.

My desktop is set at 800x600. I looked through the menu's to find where to
change the resolution of the desktop but when I did find the correct place
800x600 was the highest resolution available to me.
I know that my laptop is capable of a resolution a lot higher than this but
it higher resolutions were not available for me to select in Debian Linux,
why is this?

How can I make the resolution of my Debian 3.1 desktop higher that 800x600?

Do I need to redo the whole installation process again? If so do I need to
boot from the DVD disk again or is there a program I can run from within
Debian?

I hope you can help me.

Please could you keep the information & instructions you give me simple as I
may not understand them due to the fact that I haven't used Linux yet.

I appreciate any help or information given.

Thanks!

Neil

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Failing to get wireless card working on Toshiba + Suse
    ... >by 'complete reinstall' you mean, you have reformatted the partition ... YaST detects an existing installation, ... nothing in the Linux partition that I wanted to keep. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Installing Linux on Windows dual boot machine
    ... Ideally, should Linux be installed before my data partition, after it, ... and a Linux installation; ... Windows will not see the Linux installation at all. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: RH9 install question..
    ... I was able to overcome the problem by just creating a partition ... It is very strange that Linux didn't recognize the brand new HDD right out ... Couple of notes what I noticed during installation. ... The disk was recognized but ...
    (comp.os.linux)
  • Re: RH9 install question..
    ... I was able to overcome the problem by just creating a partition ... It is very strange that Linux didn't recognize the brand new HDD right out ... Couple of notes what I noticed during installation. ... The disk was recognized but ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • Re: Needed help with Linux installation
    ... If so, did the installation software ... create partitions for linux from within the installation software. ... This makes linux author the partition table entries, ... >ignoring may cause warning problems with some boot loaders. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)