Re: Mounting by example..newbie question

From: J.O. Aho (user_at_example.net)
Date: 11/03/05

Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 09:04:55 +0100

Todd wrote:
> Server: SME Server 6.0.1-01.
> OS: Mixed Windows and Linux home network
>
> Here is what I am looking for. I have no problem going into Network
> Browsing in Linux and finding my network shares. I can see them and do
> what ever I need to. But, when I use a prog, Firefox or BearFTP for
> example, and it asks me where to save the file, i cannot get the
> program to see any network drives from their menu that lists the
> directories available. Therefore, I have to download the file to my
> local drive and then copy/move it across the network to the server. I
> understand that I have to use the "mount" command but I'm not doing it
> right. So, if I list my parameters can someone tell me the syntax to
> use. And, what would I configure so when I boot up into Linux that it
> would mount/map my network drives when they could be accessed from a
> prog so I can send downloads to the server.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> server name:memoryprime
> ip address: 192.168.1.5
>
> network share on server: //memoryprime/download
>
> Someone told me that I have to marry it to a directory that exists on
> my client PC. Is that true?

Yes, of course, or else it won't know where to mount it.
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/smbmount.8.html

As I don't use samba, but nfs, I'm not sure if this will work or not, but you
can read the man page ('man smbmount' or click on the link).

mkdir -p /mnt/samba
mount -t smbfs //memoryprime/download /mnt/samba

The mkdir you only use the first time you mount the share, as I don't know how
your filesystem looks like, I added the -p option, so that the /mnt directory
is created if you don't already have it. This example don't use
password/login, for that I suggest you look at the man page for smbmount to
find the options.

If you want the smb share to be mounted at bootup, then add the following to
your /etc/fstab

//memoryprime/download /mnt/samba smbfs username=login,password=pass 0 0

This example uses the login/pass for samba and replace in that case it to what
you use instead of the 'login' and 'pass' that I have been using here.

Of course you may want to mount your samba share somewhere else, change the
paths. Things may not work from scratch, but you have most of what you need,
just modify until it goes as you want.

 //Aho

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [SLE] Networking - SuSE 9.3 & WinXPx2 - wireless and wired
    ... >> so with any of my Linux disks. ... I believe this is down to my samba ... I believe that what you may need to do is edit your samba config ... I need to get the network cards to see each other. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: RH 9.0, Putting Samba on Linux with RPM?
    ... I'm using realtime Linux and the kernel ... >>Samba for the initial build. ... >>related to the network but gave me the choice to continue, ... > the time server, see 'man ntpd' without the quotes for the details. ...
    (linux.redhat.misc)
  • Re: [SLE] Printerserver
    ... > If from windows, I can use samba that is with in the Clarkconnect ... CC doesn't broadcast on internal network so requests have to ... I have before tried to use samba. ... SuSE Linux 8.2 Proff. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Small Home Network - XP Network Place to Samba Share
    ... Share user permissions were set up on Fedora, and assigned to Samba ... Server and directory I'm trying to share. ... Network consists of 3 servers, DHCP, through a NetGear router. ... On Linux, create identical user account/passwords with your distro's ...
  • Re: mounting network share problem
    ... > I have some problems with network configuration in FreeBSD. ... The tool for interacting with Windows networks is Samba. ... To configure a Samba server there are basic instructions at: ... But if you just want to mount a SMB share, you can use the type 'smbfs' ...
    (freebsd-questions)