No WEP/WPA, can VPN substitute?

From: Proteus (proteus_at_uselessemail.net)
Date: 11/26/05

    Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 12:43:24 -0600

    I just can not get WEP or WPA working with my wifi modem in Linux
    (Mandriva). If I setup a VPN (Virtual Private Network) between my main PC
    (home) and the second PC in my home that has the wifi modem (on second
    floor in my home) [without WEP or WPA encryption], couldn't the VPN
    security substitute for the lack of WEP/WPA encryption? I have ssid
    broadcast turned off, and MAC filtering on, that is the best I can do--
    but of course that is easily hacked-- so I figure setting up a VPN tunnel
    should provide a secure communication, correct?

    Also, with an open wifi system, even with VPN, what is the risk of a
    hacker using the open wifi to hack into my box (PC)? Is that possible or
    made easier compared to a wired communication (LAN cabling), even with
    firewalling and a router, etc? Any ways to minimize that?

    • No WEP/WPA, can VPN substitute?
      ... I just can not get WEP or WPA working with my wifi modem in Linux ... If I setup a VPN between my main PC ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • Re: Is Dynamic WEP Secure Enough?
      ... forget WEP - get a good ipsec based vpn system, ... I would still use WEP though, would keep some folks off this wireless ... So segment your wireless network outside of your ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: RE: Wireless security and VPN
      ... It is imperative that you use VPN to secure any ... >that will be much more secure for wireless however, a GOOD VPN set up will ... Most Cisco wireless gear has this WEP type (called ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: About War Driving ..
      ... the Wep keys so. ... Use a vpn on top of your wireless network, ... and setup your wireless to be open with mac filtering. ... have the open network only allow stuff to goto your vpn server. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: RE: Wireless security and VPN
      ... It is imperative that you use VPN to ... >>that will be much more secure for wireless ... Most Cisco wireless gear has this WEP type ... > specifically authorized to receive the communication. ...
      (Security-Basics)