No WEP/WPA, can VPN substitute?

From: Proteus (proteus_at_uselessemail.net)
Date: 11/26/05

    Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 12:43:24 -0600

    I just can not get WEP or WPA working with my wifi modem in Linux
    (Mandriva). If I setup a VPN (Virtual Private Network) between my main PC
    (home) and the second PC in my home that has the wifi modem (on second
    floor in my home) [without WEP or WPA encryption], couldn't the VPN
    security substitute for the lack of WEP/WPA encryption? I have ssid
    broadcast turned off, and MAC filtering on, that is the best I can do--
    but of course that is easily hacked-- so I figure setting up a VPN tunnel
    should provide a secure communication, correct?

    Also, with an open wifi system, even with VPN, what is the risk of a
    hacker using the open wifi to hack into my box (PC)? Is that possible or
    made easier compared to a wired communication (LAN cabling), even with
    firewalling and a router, etc? Any ways to minimize that?