Re: Ubuntu cripple root user

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 08:35:50 -0800, michelebargeman wrote:

> Sigh... I do not "hate" sudo, however, I dislike it because Ubuntu
> developers are forcing users to use "sudo" by crippling root, crippling
> cups, and access to network drives. Any linux users know what root
> account is for administration, and I hope you understand that every
> user is different.
>
> I should have been given an option, and I was not. I want full
> administration power, and I am not able to get it with root account.
> Somone who does administration, this is like dependency hell.
>
> I am kinda sad that in Linux community we are having same problems that
> exist in Microsoft and Mac communites. Say anything bad, and you are
> either call troll, or offended someone pretty app or command.

I'll reiterate that 'sudo passwd' will allow you to set a root password.
>From that point on, you can use the root account just like you would on
any other distribution. I usually find that I can go several weeks to
months on a Ubuntu install before I find that necessary. I still use sudo
for nearly all root access - it is clean and convenient, and I can use it
to allow other users to access exactly the root functions I want them to
have.

  • Re: PS Re: VVDQ : Alpine on Ubuntu??
    ... I also suggest that you not try to run GUI tools from a root prompt. ... sudo Vs. su has no relevance to my warning. ... This is *not* peculiar to Ubuntu or to sudo - it has to do with things ... lot less trouble to burn a CD of the latest version, and upgrade from ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: debian and ubuntu - answer from user not pretending to be guru
    ... convenient, for most things, and I do not like the sudo that Ubuntu uses; ... prefer su - root. ... I'm not looking to criticize your choice, but the setting on Ubuntu to lock ... If you want to use a root password on Ubuntu, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: OT for those who hate xp nag software.
    ... for a superuser passworm it actually wants _your_ passworm. ... It wants the root password. ... I only used Ubuntu for a few months, and it was several years ago, and I'm ... what's the point of sudo if you're going to give root pasword ...
    (uk.rec.sheds)
  • Re: debian and ubuntu - answer from user not pretending to be guru
    ... convenient, for most things, and I do not like the sudo that Ubuntu uses; ... prefer su - root. ... I'm not looking to criticize your choice, but the setting on Ubuntu to lock ... If you want to use a root password on Ubuntu, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: hi all..
    ... And with sudo, I certainly wouldn't because they already have root. ... If you somehow had access to my account right now, ... install an effective key logger without root. ...
    (Fedora)