How to start a VNC session

Dear Linux-users

I am a relative newbie on Linux.

On my file-server I run Fedora Core 4. But since I want to place my
file-server far from my work area, I want to control the machine through
VNC.

I have succeeded to first directly login to Linux en start a VNC (KDE)
server process, to which I can connect from the other machines in my
network. However, this way of working enforces me to log into Linux and
start that process manually each time my server went down (for whatever
reason).

Therefore my question:

How can I start a VNC server process at booting time? How can I arrange that
this VNC process show the log-in screen, thus allowing the VNC client to
login as any user he wants to?

TIA for your help

Peter

.