Re: Linux caching of readen files?

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 14:37:20 +0100, Raf256 <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>Hi, I have lots of RAM - 1 GB (and perhaps 2 soon).
>
>How can I make the kernel (2.6.14.3) use all free RAM so that file will be
>cached upon reading, and second read of same file (if it wanst modified and
>if it is still in cache) would be instant - fully from RAM?
>
>How to tune thoes options and so on?

By the time you learn enough to answer this question, you will have
learned what a terrible idea it is. Let linux manage its memory and
multitasking as it thinks best. If you try to fool around without
knowing what you're doing, you'll be reinstalling before you can say
"ooops".

Mike-
--
I cannot believe that God plays dice with the cosmos.
-- Albert Einstein, in _Observer_, 1954