Howdy - total LINUX newbie present

I have couple of few hard drives and two boxes.

I'd like to get into Linux from a perpective of web development using PHP,
Perl and MySQL on one of the hard drives and configure a dual boot.

I'm familiar with the UNIX environment, shells etc and it's time to move on
and into LINUX
Could someone advise which is the best flavour, UI have a number of
questions though, are drivers difficlut to find for Linux. I just swapped a
drive and had to get another driver for the monitor, sound card and modem. i
foresee this as being difficult with Linux or am I just imagining things
(again)?

Is there much of a problem with NIC cards and configuring this to a home
network? Also what about Oracle, will I be able to use the Linux drive as a
client without too many problems eetc.

It seems like I'm going to have a fwe problems but I think it'll be
worthwhile for what I want to do. As an Oracle server I have an XP pro box,
and would like to run performance evaluations through a fwe different
platforms, IP address in a heterogenous environment. I know these questions
are problems are going to be best addressed when faced but is there a good
starting point witha particular flavour to begin with, and a free download
available?

  • Re: Where the F**K do I begin?
    ... gig harddrive to install it on, and by swapping hard drives, I can put ... you can purchase Xandros Linux at most Office Depot stores! ... I pick up free curbside donation systems, and install a GNU/Linux Distro ... I dont care about dual booting. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Starting with Linux
    ... My experience level with SUSE Linux is about zip but the min requirements ... setting the DMA does not work. ... hard drives - including some older SCSI drives I plan to test. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: No space left on device
    ... > I'm a VERY new linux user trying to administer an existing linux box to ... The distribution comes with many packages which duplicate each ... and only support hard drives up to 8Gig (try ... you want, and install it). ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • Re: No space left on device
    ... > I'm a VERY new linux user trying to administer an existing linux box to ... The distribution comes with many packages which duplicate each ... and only support hard drives up to 8Gig (try ... you want, and install it). ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Newbie questions
    ... > I highly recommend MEPIS Linux for new Linux users who want to run Linux ... this here is an example of what is so nice about MEPIS. ... all of your internal hard drives show up in two easily accessible ... Even when I go in and mount the drive to a directory, ...
    (alt.linux)