Re: seeking a live cd that works!

On Mon, 15 May 2006 09:14:08 -0500, Perry Noid wrote:

I've tried several versions of Linux, but have never quite found what I
want:

1. a cd that I can drop into my laptop (or just about any other tower or
laptop), and boot up fairly quickly using only the onboard RAM...

2. Not use the hard drive, but perhaps allow me to access it if I wish, in
order to store or access files....

3. let me use USB flash RAM sticks or external USB hard drives instead of
the internal hard drive!...

4. find and setup either a PCMCIA or USB 802.11B/G "card" so I can access
internet at hot spots... (none of the versions I've tried have ever found
any of the 802.11 radios I've tried!)....

5. would be nice (but not necessary) if it could play DVDs and audio CDs,
maybe even burn them if appropriate hardware is present....

6. have a very Windows-like appearance, so I don't have to learn a whole new
system!

7. If possible, I've got some desktop images, sounds, and cursors I would
like to have incorporated, although this is NOT essential!

8. finally, do it all fairly cheaply!

Basically, I want a disk that will let me access the internet wirelessly
(and perhaps thru a wired ethernet port if available), store the files I
wish to keep, then walk away without leaving anything on the hard drive. Any
thoughts?...

m9876c at yahoo dot com

I have done that with Knoppix - have you tried it? If so, what parts above
did you have problems with? As long as you have a 'well supported'
wireless card, it should be no problem.

  • Re: USB to IDE Cable Doest Work
    ... The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm ... > Recently I replaced my 60 GB laptop drive with a new 100 GB drive. ... > tried to use a USB to IDE cable to transfer certain files from the old ... > I was able to sucessfully read the old drive with the desktop machine. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: IP wont renew
    ... Connect the ethernet cable to the laptop and make sure you have Internet ... this happens both usb and onboard lan. ... >> both adapters, usb and nvidia on board show as working in the device ...
  • seeking a live cd that works!
    ... laptop), and boot up fairly quickly using only the onboard RAM... ... let me use USB flash RAM sticks or external USB hard drives instead of ... I want a disk that will let me access the internet wirelessly ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Network ID - USB network
    ... USB cable. ... Both machines run XP pro. ... Internet via wireless and ADSL. ... With the USB in the laptop only the access to the ...
  • Re: RSFC Komputer Korner: Help Needed
    ... into a USB external 2.5" HD enclosure ... you want a network share and therefore pulling the drive for a 2.5" ... plan on using the laptop anymore, pull the drive and spring for a $25 ... I have USB 2.0 hard drives that transfer slower than ...
    (rec.sport.football.college)