Re: barebones linux

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 11:29:46 -0700, yawnmoth wrote:

I'd like to install the lightest weight Linux distro possible into
VMWare, but am not sure what distribution this would be.

Alternatively, I wouldn't mind installing just the Linux kernel, but
I'm not sure where to download that, in and of itself.

That does not make a bootable system.

And if I did do that, how would I go about installing other things,
later on? If GCC wasn't included with the linux kernel then how would
I go about compiling other things that I might wish to add?

I believe there is a Debian System book which describes how to install a
minimal system. Might I inquire why you are interested in "the lightest
weight Linux distro possible" - as your questions already illustrate it
would not be very useable.

  • =?UTF-8?B?UkU6IFJlOiBQbGVhc2UgaGVscCBtZSBpbnN0YWxsaW5nIFJU?= =?UTF-8?B?MzA3MFNUQQ==?=
    ... I asked about errors installing fedora(H67,i5-2300,GT240,SATA3 500Gbps, ... where hardware drivers are typically supplied by the ... The Linux kernel community always accepts drivers from ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Graphic card advice
    ... and installing the NVIDIA proprietary driver wasn't too hard, ... have experience with Linux kernel and embedded systems programming. ... The Debian packaging of the nvidia proprietary driver is great (at least ... have pre-built kernel modules and there's also the dkms package to ...
    (Debian-User)
  • To: Kernel experts
    ... I located a "how to" on configuring and installing a new Linux Kernel on ... openSUSE 10.3 ... To put it mildly, the procedure appears to be daunting, and I am hesitant to ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • barebones linux
    ... I'd like to install the lightest weight Linux distro possible into ... Alternatively, I wouldn't mind installing just the Linux kernel, but ... And if I did do that, how would I go about installing other things, ... If GCC wasn't included with the linux kernel then how would ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: Trouble w / KB824146
    ... > Querying software update catalog from ... Download finished ... > Installing SOFTWARE item from publisher com_microsoft ...