Re: Sound

Clois Beckwith enlightened us alt.linux - (ab)users with:

The missing audio cable between your CD-Rom and the Audio card (this
was a ~5cent saving for the manufacturer), if you use xmms you need
to install and enable xmms-cdread. Later versions of KsCD (part of
KDE) can handle this too.

Audio cable is there. I finally had to use KAudioCreator to convert
the files to OGG format and then rip the files to finally enable
Amarok to read the files. I think that I have resolved the issue.

Well, so it isn't missing but defective or wrong (or connected to the
wrong socket on your soundcard). Some beasts have different layout at
the cdrom side ...
You may still try direct readout, obviously that works when ripping.