newbie - permissions on files - hzlp please

I m not a Linux user (sory for that) but would appreciate some help with the
folowing problem:

Desktop running xp, with large hard disk and 2 partitionns.
The pc was getting very unstable (rebooting without any reason) and I
decided to reinstall xp on the c: partition.
From the original recover cd(targa), the "image" was sent to the c drive,
but the new image does not boot correctly (windows starting screen, options
standard, safe mode etc..), whatever choice = the pc reboots while trying to
start a session
note: trying to reinstall agian or using Norton ghost boot cd (I have a
backup on d:) , the pc starts reading either cd and before executing the
install or recover, I get the famous BLUE screen
conclusion = no way to access c: or d: drive

With my notebook, I made a bootable Linux cd image "SLAX BOOT CD" and this
works fine to start the pc.
Under "Konqueror", system, storage media I can see the content of my old C
and D drives
I wanted to use this "Linux Session" to make copies of important data from
my c and d drive to a large usb external hard disk

Whatever I try under "permissions", (for the whole drive, a specific
directory, or a file), using read write exec permissions to either user and
or group and others,
I get the error message " COULD NOT CHANGE PERMISSIONS FOR ....."

I am sure there must be a way to allow me to copy files and folders but
cannot find out what I am doing wrong.
Any tip is most welcome (excuse my poor English, French is my mother tongue)

Thank you and have a merry Christmas
Daniel

  • Re: Uh-oh, FC3 install boot from CDROM error on new machine
    ... I recently built a system which has two SATA ... >other one, an Intel controller, did not see the SATA drives I ... >be able to google or find out if Linux supports that chipset. ... I can try to boot the hard disk from my ...
    (Fedora)
  • help pleaseon copying files
    ... I m not a Linux user but would appreciate some help with the ... with large hard disk and 2 partitionns. ... and D drives ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: two linux hard disks
    ... both configured as master and both was installed with SUSE Linux ... hard disk and after you put the second hard disk in, ... I assume you have IDE drives. ... bring up the BIOS configuration when you ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • New System planning -- Summary
    ... >To build a system that to run Linux (probably Ubuntu or Kubuntu, ... > Flat Panel monitor, Make? ... You want huge hard drives with 16 MB buffers. ... Two fast 160 GB drives will work, but not RAID, one 250 MB drive is cheaper. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: newbie question <VERY_LONG>
    ... That's what the Linux Documentation Project is for. ... That's only because the original DOS used the name to identify the type ... >partition, unless it occupies the entire disk as a primary partition. ... When the box got updated to DOS 5, the drives ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)