Re: Linux for Dummies

"Don H" <donlhumphries@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:d8BRh.10271$M.5295@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Came across this book the other day, written by Dee-Ann LeBlanc, complete
with disk (which didn't help me all that much; but that's not the author's
fault).
"Linux for Dummies" or the "Idiot's Guide to.." Why are these manuals
named so? Presumably, they don't leave out any steps in the instruction
process - which more intelligent or knowageable readers don't need.
But what about a book for the Complete Cretin (me?). Couldn't be
written, as Murphy's Law becomes, to the CC - "In anything can go wrong,
I'll make sure it does!"
Which brings me to the main point - "Is it possible to make, not only a
fool-proof system (of whatever kind), but a water-tight or fail safe
system?
This would be CC-proof.
Take loading Linux onto a computer, which I've failed to do, so far.
Assume no knowledge, on behalf of the purchaser of any disk or package.
Also, assume the mug involved won't read the instructions properly, and is
full of dogmatic assumptions, and other false ideas. Step-by-step
instructions need then to be backed up by pop-ups, eg. "Is this what you
really intend?" "Wrong way, go back!" and "We ain't gonna let you do
this!"
Menus would have added notes on them, not left blank.
Such procedures might be quite a challenge to programmers, but no more
so than what is involved in contesting a too easily-cracked root password?
But to get back to Dee-Ann's worthy book. She had to contend with the
many species of the genus Linux, eg. on page 338 (chosen at random):
Fedora,
Knoppix, Linspire, Mandriva, SuSE, Xandros, and Ubuntu.
Well, I intend to wade through this 422-page volume; not that it'll
make
much difference - where I'm concerned. (I believe there is an encylopedic
equivalent available.)
I've managed to get a "live" DVD-disk version of Linux working alright,
so will scrap the idea of hard disk installation.

# They say "experience is a hard school, but fools will learn in no other".
Could apply to me, I suppose, but then I thought installing Linux was simply
a matter of putting in a disk and booting up.
But then, I was trying to install on a notebook/laptop with only 60g
capacity. Did work, sort of, with SuSE 10.1, but gobbled up lots of hard
disk space and produced a flickering screen. (even after dodging ACPI).
Defective result could be due to "frame buffer" and/or screen resolution,
and did come good temporarily, only to flicker again.
Other distros either produced a blank screen or flickering, and some did
give a "live" desktop - but baulked at installation.
Which latter might require initial partitioning of hard disk, but how much
space to allot ? (varies with distro?), and of what type (eg. SuSE 10.1 uses
ext2).
I've used my old desktop computer, with Win98, for years; it only has 2g
capacity, of which I've used half; but then I deal mainly in text (essays,
poems, arguments), not graphics - and it is all those pixels which gobble up
space.
A relative of mine has a Mac computer and uses Photoshop (?) to touch up
old photos. I think his disk has 200g, which is probably about right - lets
him store photos on his hard disk.
If I buy another desktop computer, I might try and load Linux, but, at the
moment, WinXP on my Notebook does all I need.

  • Re: If You Cant Trust Google, Who Can You Trust?
    ... with instructions and an installation disk. ... "OEM" packaged hard drives, which are cheaper, they don't come with ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: RH9 install question..
    ... I was able to overcome the problem by just creating a partition ... It is very strange that Linux didn't recognize the brand new HDD right out ... Couple of notes what I noticed during installation. ... The disk was recognized but ...
    (comp.os.linux)
  • Re: RH9 install question..
    ... I was able to overcome the problem by just creating a partition ... It is very strange that Linux didn't recognize the brand new HDD right out ... Couple of notes what I noticed during installation. ... The disk was recognized but ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)