Ubuntu download (linux live) question

Hello everyone, I was sent an Ubuntu DVD in the mail (version 6.10).
The DVD was capable of running Ubuntu without installing it, or live
linux. I am now downloading the recent version from their website. If
I burn the file to a disk will it be able to run from the disk without
installing it like the version I recieved in the mail?

Thanks,
Max

  • Re: [opensuse] Re: On suse being difficult ...
    ... the difficulty of installing Linux, ... That is somewhat of a "cheat" because one is only going to put an OS X disk into an Apple box; there is no fussing with various video drivers, various CPUs, various ethernet cards, various sound cards, and the list goes on. ... There is a large contingent of linux users that like to feel "more skilled" in that they have the ability to tweak a linux box to act in an appropriate fashion. ...
    (SuSE)
  • How to Install Linux So That it Boots
    ... I've been trying for about 8 days now to install linux ... so that it will boot from a new hard drive. ... the hard disk is never bootable. ... Using DOS fdisk to partition the drive before installing linux. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Backing up files on a badly malware infested computer.
    ... On badly infested computers I usually just back up the data files and reinstall the OS. ... I have more than enough disk space on my computer so I tried transferring the data files to my computer. ... My third attempt was to try booting Linux on her computer using an CD install disk. ... I am at the point were I'm thinking about of installing her hard as the slave drive on my old computer. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Linux for Dummies
    ... Win 98...perhaps it was the installing of Win 9x that has given me the experience that made the Linux installation so easy?) ... In the first 2 installs of Linux it was straight forward with only the package selection the real problem: having to decide what optional features and application to, or not to, install. ... so will scrap the idea of hard disk installation. ... If you want a real challenge, try getting Windwos of a recent variety to play well in installing how /you/ want it installed - I got my XP machine autumn last year and I had all sorts of hassles to get it to install how I wanted (especially on the disk partitions)...it insisted on installing to a single partition which expanded to cover the whole hard disk; fine except when I came to sharing files on my LAN: WARNING - sharing the root partition is dangerous and can lead to machine compromise. ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Installing Win2K after XP - Does it work?
    ... I have a question about dual-booting Win2K with XP. ... -The only XP disk I have is the one that came with my Sony ... reinserting them after installing 2K (more on this can be ... thinks I would have a problem installing Mandrake Linux ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.setup)