Re: FSCK'ing at the wrong time!

Michael Everson wrote:
Debian is not the one requiring your filesystem to be checked, your filesystem is the one requiring it to be checked.
You could increase the mount count between fsck's and lose your earliest detection if something goes wrong.
I would fsck the day before your presentation and be done with it.

Ok let's clarify a few things here.

The FSCK utility in the Debian distribution *is* where the file system is requiring to be checked on boot, the file system isn't the problem here.

As I explained, I could increase the mount-count to a higher value, however I don't want to; I want to see linux meet the needs of the user, not the other way around, hence there should be an option to cancel an in progress fsck.

--
Regards,
Sheridan Hutchinson

  • Re: FSCKing at the wrong time!
    ... I would fsck the day before your presentation and be done with it. ... is requiring to be checked on boot, the file system isn't the problem here. ... Linux don't require "you" to run fsck on boot-up, but the file system you have ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: FSCKing at the wrong time!
    ... I would fsck the day before your presentation and be done with it. ... The FSCK utility in the Debian distribution *is* where the file system is ... requiring to be checked on boot, the file system isn't the problem here. ...
    (alt.linux)
  • RE: serioup problem after running fsck
    ... I'm not an expert in recovery and I'm not sure you could recover at ... > The easiest and first thing is to run fsck again (although I ... Running it once is no guarantee that the file system ... > shutdown command from the command line or the shutdown menu ...
    (RedHat)
  • fstab entries for external USB hard drives led to fsck.ext3 failure on boot, bug?
    ... 'F!3@$%ing fsck! ... Please repair the file system manually. ... CONTROL-D will terminate this shell and resume system boot. ... were to allow me to quickly mount an external hard drive ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Early access to a console (during runlevel 1)
    ... Why are you erasing error output? ... for hours fsck to complete" IS NOT a good excuse). ... repair the file systems without asking for permission. ... -p Automatically repair the file system. ...
    (Debian-User)