Re: Programming Languages / IDEs

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 10:00:44 +0000, Rob wrote:

I would like to learn a Language to write applications in Linux.

I am not a professional by any means the Language I am most familiar
with is Visual Foxpro. I have done things in Visual Basic as well.

(I have a feeling I will be waiting a long time before they appear on Linux)

This is what I have found so far.

C++ KDevelop
Pascal Lazarus (Looks very impressive)

Any other suggestions?

Fortran, Forth, Modula2 (what Pascal should have been), Java, Pearl and,
of course, there are also some BASICK dialects around for Linux. There is
also a rudimentary Comal implementation.

I tried learning C with a book long time ago and found it was too hard.

If you could not handle C, don't even think about C++ - C is actually a
quite simple language.

I hear that C++ is quite difficult to learn

With Lazarus I could use books on Delphi to Learn both the language and
the IDE

So what do you suggest? How did you learn your programming skills?

One good way is to take a class - is there a college or technical school
nearby which might offer some programming classes?

Do I try and find a course on C++ and see if I can work out KDevelop ?
(I don't even know what program to launch)

IMHO - an IDE does not really add that much. I did scientific software
support and development for DOD for 30 years without using an integrated
IDE. I used an editor plus a terminal window for compilations and test
runs.

Some of the current IDE apps can be useful in designing the window layouts
of graphical elements, beyond that you should be able to live with or
without them. Some of the Linux magazines have examples, etc. from time to
time - I recall one a few months back in Linux Pro.

Do I try to learn Lazarus from books on Delphi?

  • Re: Programming Languages / IDEs
    ... I am not a professional by any means the Language I am most familiar with is Visual Foxpro. ... With Lazarus I could use books on Delphi to Learn both the language and the IDE ... How did you learn your programming skills? ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: Python education survey
    ... running Windows, Linux, or Macs. ... no matter which language I'm working with. ... here> interpreter/compiler/whatever) with a fancy IDE. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Is linq the final straw for VB?
    ... C++ and all other mathmetatical syntax ... RAD language VB is the better choice. ... is simply a lot more typing in VB. ... The VB.NET IDE ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb)
  • Re: dynamic type checking - a pauline conversion?
    ... Unit testing isn't incompatible with careful coding. ... DBC and static/manifest type checks. ... static checking in a language like Haskell, which has type inference, is ... I don't believe the IDE can do that. ...
    (comp.object)
  • Re: OT? But a nice article about IDEs
    ... that whenever a language is depending on sophisticated tool ... doesn't require an IDE? ... At the time, Java was not very suitable for bigger projects, IMHO. ... Common Lisp is there or close. ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)