Re: Programming Languages / IDEs

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 12:43:39 +0000, Rob wrote:

David Wührer wrote:
Rob wrote:

Fortran - I don't see what Fortran has to offer that Basic does not.

About 40 years worth of libraries.

I suppose for some specialized scientific calculations there might be
something there.

I would think that 1 year of Basic libraries would equal 20 years of
Fortran. Fortran was pretty much dead by the 80s. Fortran never
really made it into the PC market. Basic and Turbo Pascal were the most
popular languages.

Fortran is not yeat dead - at least in some scientific scenarios - a large
bulk of 'legacy code' will keep it alive for a long time. The reason
Fortran became 'popular' in the PC market is that it was interactive and
made it easier and quicker to see some results. The original basick
dialects were really quite a pain to use (every variable had to be
declared, no named procedures or function calls, etc.). It has improved
since then. TP became popular because it was a 'fast' environment - both
to develop and in execution - it was much more efficient than the basicks
of the time, and those were the major options. Back then, Fortran et. al.
were very expensive.

ray wrote:
Modula2 (what Pascal should have been),
Curious what you mean by the above statement. Again too obscure

Apparently Niklaus Wirth has been spending decades on implementing and
perfecting the same language, giving it different names.

However, one could argue that Oberon (which is really Modula-3 with a GUI)
is what Pascal should have been. If that is the case, then Pascal was meant
to be horrible.

Horrible for what reason?

Wirth also does not like C and C++, so maybe Pascal is for you.

I like C. I like the simplicity and the structure.

I cannot understand why C is not taught as the language to teach people
programming instead of Pascal.

Pascal does not even have an ENDIF.

I just can't do much with C.

C is indeed very simple and efficient. You can do virtually anything with
C - it was originally conceived, as I understand it, to be a 'universal
assembly language'.

To find out what is available, at least on your distribution, you might
search your repositories with keywords like 'programming' 'development'
etc. You'll be surprised how many options there are.

  • Re: Programming Languages / IDEs
    ... I would think that 1 year of Basic libraries would equal 20 years of Fortran. ... I cannot understand why C is not taught as the language to teach people programming instead of Pascal. ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: CALL for attention and discussion: recent paper comparing an equation solver implementation in F
    ... faced with Fortran, "Three issues specific to Fortran that resulted ... If and when this feature is added to the language I hope that the experience from C++ and other languages is taken into account - C++'s template mechanism operates at a level that is marginally above dumb token substitution. ... Existing code bases are also often subject to coding standards based on the available language capability at the time the code base was commenced and there is considerable inertia associated with revision of those coding standards. ... "New" libraries written for the current standards and current compiler capability use new language features. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Surprise
    ... haven't seen any Fortran libraries that do that. ... Libraries are a huge part of the reason why one language would be ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: interpretive vs. compiled
    ... for specific needs in FORTRAN. ... Nowadays, workstations are also available to engineers, and there's no ... Excel/VBA and much less exposure to programming. ... colleges are wondering what language to use in classes. ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: one-liner for characater replacement
    ... convert to another language. ... upgrade to upward compatible versions of the same language. ... Under the above rules of the game, unless the Fortran world announces ...  The user base has not shrunk all that much. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)