Re: Programming Languages / IDEs

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 10:00:44 +0000, Rob wrote:

I would like to learn a Language to write applications in Linux.

I am not a professional by any means the Language I am most familiar
with is Visual Foxpro. I have done things in Visual Basic as well.

(I have a feeling I will be waiting a long time before they appear on
Linux)

This is what I have found so far.

C++ KDevelop
Pascal Lazarus (Looks very impressive)

Any other suggestions?

I tried learning C with a book long time ago and found it was too hard.

I hear that C++ is quite difficult to learn

With Lazarus I could use books on Delphi to Learn both the language and
the IDE

So what do you suggest? How did you learn your programming skills?

Do I try and find a course on C++ and see if I can work out KDevelop ?
(I don't even know what program to launch)

Do I try to learn Lazarus from books on Delphi?

FWIW - I've recently dowloaded and installed realbasic (from
realsoftware.com). It's fairly simple to install. Interface seems similar
to VB as I recall. I've also installed Sun Studio - I was able to install
and get it running on Fedora8 - was not successful on Ubuntu. This seems
to be related to several rpms in the package. I've not yet run it, but
seems promising for C/C++/Fortan projects.

  • Re: microsoft language register doesnt work
    ... What were you expecting the Language Register to do? ... I have no idea what creating a symbolic link to the Microsoft Error ... Install two service packs and all the updates to 12.2.4 ... Resolve all Font Duplicates by removing the old versions from the ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.word)
  • Re: Problem installing MUI in an unattend installation
    ... LanguageGroup = language group ID, ... if you install one language ... then you install all complex script language groups. ...
  • Re: INTL/Localized XP installation
    ... " So you have to purchase Windows XP of the language version most ... correctly but I do not see any other options during the install than what I ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Can Win XP become a "Japanese operating system"?
    ... MicrosoftWindows XP Multilingual User Interface Pack ... Welcome to the Windows XP Multilingual User Interface (MUI) Pack. ... After you install the Windows XP Multilingual User Interface Pack, ... with the system components change to the selected language. ...
    (sci.lang.japan)
  • Re: Problem installing MUI in an unattend installation
    ... I use Unattend installation from DOS boot USB device... ... So I think that setup try to install MUI ... LanguageGroup = language group ID, ...